[ARM Stable Update] 2021-04-27 - Firefox, KDE Frameworks, RPI Imager, Uboots and Kernels

Pinebook Pro question: there is a lot of confusion over how to get “deep sleep” working correctly so that battery consumption while sleeping would be less than 10% per day, but it seems to need a custom older kernel or something, plus possible uboot changes, etc. Is there any clarification anyone has on how to do it right? I am on 5.11.x kernel and battery will drain about 40% (minimum) while sleeping overnight??

1 Like

True “deep sleep” as you call it, requires badly written Rockchip drivers to be in the kernel, and the uboot to contain Rockchips blobs.

The uboot blobs are still available via uboot-pinebookpro-bsp, but the kernel drivers have not been patched into the kernel since 5.8 or 5.9. We dropped them, because they had no way of getting into mainline kernel.

But, there is a patch for TF-A (Trusted Firmware - ARM) that starts implementing the functionality into mainline uboot, which would work together with a proper mainline kernel. It’s not merged into TF-A yet and it’s not optimized yet. But work is being done to get it working.
I’ve read in dev chats, that it gets the battery drain down to 25% over 12 hours.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome, thanks for the update!

Pinebook 1080p won’t boot into sway after update.
It freezes on manjaro boot/splash screen with the dots rotating, doing nothing. Before it lauched right into sway (I have set greetd to autologin some time ago).

I found out, that it’s not frozen completely and after “ctrl+alt+f2”, I’m able to login to terminal. Later I will check the logs, to see what’s gone wrong. Any sugestions where & what to look for?

Hi. Seamonkey is crashing on my PinebookPro post-update:

First error:

[tjh@PineBookPro ~]$ seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so:
libicui18n.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or 
directory.  Couldn't load XPCOM.

When I fix that with

ln -s libicui18n.so.69.1 libicui18n.so.68

Then I get the error

[tjh@PineBookPro lib]$ seamonkey
libicuuc.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or 
directory.  Couldn't load XPCOM.

And when I fix that with

ln -s libicuuc.so.69.1 libicuuc.so.68

then I get the error

[tjh@PineBookPro ~]$ seamonkey
/usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so: undefined symbol: u_strToUpper_68
Couldn't load XPCOM.

There seems to be a need to systematically update values 68->69 in the source?

Otherwise the update looks great.

System Details:

Operating System: Manjaro-ARM
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.81.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.11.16-1-MANJARO-ARM
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 6 ×
Memory: 3.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mali T860

Seamonkey is a package we get from Arch Linux ARM, which seems to not have been built for the new libraries. No one seems to have mentioned the issues on the Arch ARM forums.

I would suggest looking at Waybar’s bluetooth plugin. Like @appelgriebsch mentioned above.

Update on Pi 400 went fine, however noticed something weird and not sure if it’s new thing or was always there. KDE version. When I rebooted after update and didn’t log in fast enough and the password dialog faded out, I was unable to make it appear again. No key press did resummon it, s wasn’t able to log in, had to reboot Pi for new password box to appear…

edit: then again, could not repeat this problem later … so dunno what happened there. :man_shrugging:

I’m using Rapberry Pi 4B 4GB, update went well, but the system becomes slow in network service (not sure if I use the correct term so bear with me):

I have TiddlyWiki server and JupyterLab server exposed to certain port so I could access those services. We I access them throuph PC browser, the loading of both services is significantly slower, even over LAN. Tried reboot multiple times but still the same. This happened after this update.

I don’t use bluetooth plugin in waybar. I tried to comment out the whole bar{...} in my ~/.config/sway/mode/default, with no progress. Still freezes on manjaro logo. Also when running sway command in terminal, noting happens. Will try to investigate more later.

What have happened with the disabling screensaver feature in the recent KDE Plasma? In the older version you could temporarily disable screensaver either by selecting the ‘allow automatic sleep and screen lock’ (or whatever it’s named in English) in the battery widget, or by selecting ‘enable presentation mode’ (or whatever it’s named in English) in the display widget. The screensaver will not appear until you deselect the one of the above option I’ve mentioned. In the recent Plasma you can disable screensaver, but to enable it you’ll need to re-login. This is like that for months. But why? Does it works correctly on regular Manjaro (it’s an ARM or Pinebook Pro related bug)? Or no-one is using these features?

That’s a good question. It works fine on regular Manjaro x64 (I use it extensively on my desktop).

I will test it out on my Pinebook Pro.

1 Like

looks like you “only” have to update the tooltip section of the bluetooth plugin…

Otherwise juste replace {status} with {} in your bluetooth tooltip config

just tried it out. Waybar works again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there,
Running Manjaro ARM Phosh on a PinePhone convergence. Since the update, chatty is not working anymore.
This means I cannot receive or send text messages.

Here is the error message I get when trying to launch it from the terminal:

[manjaro@manjaro-arm ~]$ chatty
chatty: error while loading shared libraries: libedataserver-1.2.so.25: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Any ideas or suggestions on where this could be coming from?

(FYI, the rest seems to be working fine otherwise :slight_smile: )

What’s your version of Chatty?

Current in Stable should be 0.3.0_beta2-1.

This is interesting. While other packages have been updated, chatty was still in version 0.3.0_beta+15+g6477649-1.

It looks like it failed to update to the correct package version.

[manjaro@manjaro-arm ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for manjaro: 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: chatty: local (0.3.0_beta+15+g6477649-1) is newer than community (0.3.0_beta2-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

The solution was as simple as removing the package and reinstalling it.

[manjaro@manjaro-arm ~]$ sudo pacman -R chatty
[manjaro@manjaro-arm ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu chatty

[manjaro@manjaro-arm ~]$ pacman -Q chatty
chatty 0.3.0_beta2-1

Now chatty is back. And even better, I managed to see the text messages that were sent to me during the time it was down! :slight_smile:

Thank you @Strit for putting me on the right track!

2 Likes

I’ve fixed the freezing of pinebook 1080p on manjaro splash/boot screen by downgrading the sway and wlroots packages to previous versions. How should I proceed, If I want to be the bug fixed in next versions?

1 Like

Solved: I’ve reported in a past update that brazilian keyboard special characters ´`~^ç etc stopped working, but with the last update it seems fixed in kde rpi4, i might check it in sway as well later. Tnx for the system!

I would check the issues in both projects and if necessary open a new one. Usually members of the dev team will ask for more details and give instructions. Eventually the problem can be found and fixed…

Just for the record, I’ve filled an issue to the sway github repo.

1 Like