Argon Fan Hat - totally clueless

So let’s assume for sake of ease (and because it’s accurate) that as far as Manjaro goes, I only barely know the difference between my rear-end and a hole in the ground (and sometimes mix the two up).

Is it possible to install the Argon40 Fan Hat for the Raspberry Pi 3/4 on Manjaro, and if so, how do I do it? Further, will it still work as a power button (which was honestly what primarily caught my interest)?

Without further information, the only Argon I know of is a package manager, and it doesnt appear to wear a hat so you might need to be a bit more explicit and/or include a link.

If this is for a pi4 I believe @0n0w1c uses one. But I think he has the case but setup up could be similar.

You’re right, I didn’t explain squat. Give me a few minutes to edit my post.

For whatever reason it won’t let me include a link.

If you require to use the original software, the short answer, is no. It is not trivial to get the original software to run on Manjaro… but it can be done.
However, if you just want something that works and is pretty easy, yes. But it is in the AUR and not part of Manjaro proper, if that is a concern.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, though I don’t know step one of the build process.

Can it be done through the Add/Remove Software GUI using AUR support?

Yes, use the pamac gui and activate the AUR.
Then search for argonone-c-git and click to install it.
To configure it, add something like this to the bottom of your /boot/config.txt file:

dtoverlay=argonone,hysteresis=5
dtparam=fantemp0=45,fanspeed0=33
dtparam=fantemp1=50,fanspeed1=67
dtparam=fantemp2=55,fanspeed2=100

If I recall correctly, after installing the software, you will find

dtoverlay=argonone

Just change to be like the above, and set the temps and fan speeds to your liking.

Finally make it start on reboot:

sudo systemctl enable argononed

And then reboot.

I recommend reading the Readme. It is quite nice software.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I’ll try it out tonight. I’m not sure why but it didn’t make any sense to me in the other threads. Will it still work as a power button?

Yes, just as it should. Even the Infrared is supposed to work for remote control… but I have not tested that.

Neat, thanks again.

One more thing. It makes a detailed log file: /var/log/argononed.log of every thing it does, including when it changes fan speeds and such. It is very helpful if it seems to not be acting as expected.

1 Like

On reboot, you can check the status:

systemctl status argononed

● argononed.service - Argon One Fan and Button Daemon Service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/argononed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-10-28 22:08:43 CDT; 19h ago
    Process: 709 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/argononed (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 711 (argononed)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 8961)
        CPU: 2.753s
     CGroup: /system.slice/argononed.service
             └─711 /usr/sbin/argononed

Oct 28 22:08:43 abbynormal systemd[1]: Starting Argon One Fan and Button Daemon Service...
Oct 28 22:08:43 abbynormal systemd[1]: Started Argon One Fan and Button Daemon Service.
1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, I thank you for your time.

I just wanted to say it worked like a charm and I learned some things about using Manjaro, thank you again.

2 Likes