Are user stats coming over

You sayin’ you’re not up to the challenge? :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I am a bit surprised that user data can’t be imported over, but then again, Discourse is a bit… stupid… on that front… there is support for exporting the old account info, including trust levels and custom bits, but no ‘baked in’ way to import it into a new instance - so the best they could probably do is bulk invite all the old users via the CSV export… probably not worth it. Only takes 30 seconds to make a new account, and for those few ‘trustworthy’ people, the moderators can bump them back up to their old trust level manually easily enough.

1 Like

If I wasn’t, then I wouldn’t be here now, would I? :wink:

2 Likes

The former forum only could be destroyed.

I am having this strange feeling right now, like I’m a member of a large family of whom half were just killed in a horrible plane crash ─ or maybe even in the Beirut explosions ─ and the surviving family members are now getting back together for the first time after having spent a few days in hospital. :thinking:

:cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Look on the bright side, we have the chance to start a new life !

3 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation. I have made a new account. Glad to be back here. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s quite the comparison you’re making there. I mean, sure, it sucks that everyone lost their account and has to start from scratch now, but I think many will recreate their account here on the new forum. The old one is still available to look stuff up.

1 Like

Yes, but is it really him?

1 Like

Must pass certain … tests …

The real handy can be figured by measuring response to bad-wiki-edit stimuli.

3 Likes

that’s bad, all the work lost! :disappointed_relieved: :cry:

I sure hope such knowledge/protection against account grabbing won’t be necessary. :crossed_fingers:

I signed up again, but my avatar was still here waiting for me. Did I get lucky?

1 Like

I think that depends on how you signed up.
A ‘normal’ sign up with an email (no social linking or gravatar etc) had me needing to add my avatar.

2 Likes

I had to re-register completely and re-upload an avatar. I tried the normal login procedure first, but it didn’t recognize my user name or my email address. I effectively had to start over again from scratch.

Considering that my old account was registered on the 30th of April 2019, that thus begs the question when exactly the corruption of the database ─ PostgreSQL, is it? ─ occurred, and whether the missing accounts had all been registered around and after April 2019. :thinking:

Yes. Thats what everyone has to do.

The point I was making above was about someone using a gravatar (social/linked) sign-up (registration) and thus why an avatar appeared (and matches).

2 Likes

Everyone has to re-register, no matter when the old account was created.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for explaining. I didn’t know that. It was my impression so far that certain accounts had survived the crash and had been imported into the new database. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s the handy thing with gravatars - you don’t actually need to do anything. Use the same email address with a supported site, and your avatar is automatically pulled in.

The Penguin Lives Again!

1 Like

I know it won’t affect me as i was a new member anyway. But is there a protocol if some clever clogs tries to pinch someone’s username from the old form? I’m sure it’s bound to happen

1 Like