I tried to install arch linux from the iso they provide. went through a normal process ie
- timedatctl set-ntp true
- cfdisk -z with dos config with 2 partitions root and swap
- create filesystems ext4 and swap
- mount the partitions
- pacstrap /mnt base base-devel linux linux-firmware nano dhcpcd
- genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
- arch-chroot /mnt
- pacman -S grub
- grub-install /dev/sda
- grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- umount -R /mnt
- shutdown now.
when i restarted the computer after the fresh base install i was faced with being required to provide a root password that i have not even set yet. what's going on i wonder??
normally i would be faced with being able to access root without a password. i can't talk to arch linux devos as they are nasty