Arch [testing] team

Arch are open to extending their team of package testers. This has a definite benefit to Manjaro as we end up with better-tested packages, faster.

If you would like to help test packages in Arch [testing] - and be able to sign these off as working in a VM or on hardware running Arch - use this thread to discuss any concerns etc.

More information:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Testing_Team

If you are interested join the #archlinux-testing channel, express your interest, and tell grazzolini et. al. who sent you:

ircs://chat.freenode.net/archlinux-testing

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_IRC_channels#Other_channels

15 Likes

My Anarchy VM has only Arch Repos, but, while they don't explicitly insist you must install the Arch Way, I wonder if it is a requirement.

2 Likes

I do not understand. Asking Manjaro users if they want to run Arch seems like a strange way to collaborate.

2 Likes

Not realy just check the number of packages from Arch that Manjaro runs. But you know that... this has to do with this new corporator thing :rofl: . A weird way to make peace with Arch ------ maybe. :man_shrugging:

Does it matter? I'm sure you run Arch too as do most of the free help around here. Hell, btw even I run Arch :cowboy_hat_face:.

I'm curious about data collection. Just an old cowboy counting cows
Happy trails.

1 Like

I am open to help, moving to a bigger place soon and will be able to set up a desktop for testing. Just have to find something to use that box for while running Arch testing. Any suggestions?

Maybe I am in the minority then. I only use Manjaro.

I guess I should clarify. I don't see anything wrong with using Arch. Or Arch testing. But I do not understand where the collaboration part with Manjaro comes into this other than indirectly.

Maybe Jonathan needs to clarify who exactly he is trying to recruit here. Someone to use Manjaro and Arch at the same time and give input on both? Or someone who just wants to become a Arch tester and... goodbye?

1 Like

I only use Manjaro as well because I don't have the time to deal with an unstable OS these days. For me Manjaro is all the benefits of Arch without having to waste hours after every update trying to figure out what broke my system on any given day.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to get closer to Arch's package testing than Manjaro's unstable branch. That is pretty much taken from Arch's version of "Stable". I guess the benefit is to move things into the unstable branch faster so that the Manjaro testers can start to make it all work as well as the Manjaro team does.

2 Likes

Benefit for Manjaro is coverage. If manjaro have community members in Arch testing, they might know what the potential issues might be, what the nuances is for depenencies that might cause issues, and it helps create a closer cross distro work environment.

Helping upstream will always have some benefit downstream. Better test covarage in Arch testing might make Manjaro more stable in the long run, as stated by @jonathon

In the end, making arch better (as a general statement) will make manjaro better as well. (at least imo)

5 Likes

I would like to help since I also use manjaro why not contribute to the community I am part of.
I can give it a try if it works and report back, what info do I need to provide about it?
I am little new to Manjaro so I am not up to date on all, but I got experience running Linux.
I can do it on a VirtualMachine Now, for a PC I can do it end of the week when I get my system76.

Do we need to also join their forum tried few times without success, emailed them they said if I use manjaro, join manjaro forum. https://bbs.archlinux.org/register.php

"
These forums are for Arch Linux x86_64 ONLY.

Not Antegros, or Apricity, or Manjaro, or any of the "easy Arch installers", nor Arch-ARM; nothing other than vanilla 64-bit Arch Linux. Ask those communities for support.
If you have installed Arch, please read the rules before posting. README: Forum Rules.

Please note, that in signing up to these forums, you agree to the Arch Linux Privacy Policy, and any information you post to these boards will be considered "public information".
"

Ari.

OK, so the place to go is the #archlinux-testing IRC channel.

They will get you started with what needs doing.

Just be aware it's not a channel for support requests.

Baby steps.

This is part of building a better working relationship and then identifying some common projects etc.

6 Likes

Well since I am new I will let the others do the testing first and I will join the channel to keep up to date. For now I will try some testing of new kernels like 5.2 get more experience and join down the road. It is important for more experience people to represent the manjaro community in my opinion.

I agree with Jonathon "base steps" rome was not build in a day. It is more important to have a slow and long term relationship, then rushed cooperation with risky outcome.

Thanks for the input and advice,
Ari.

1 Like

Since anyone can run Arch Testing--it is somewhat similar to Manjaro Testing--I read @jonathon's linked page (did all of you?) for clarification.

As far as Arch goes, the more testers the merrier. And just FYI, it has been my experience that Arch Stable is generally as stable as Manjaro's--for the right user. What Arch is not is Linux for the masses.

Beyond the benefit to Arch Stable users like myself--and, yes, there are many of us that cut their teeth on Manjaro--is the benefit to everyone that uses Manjaro and every Arch-based or based-in-Arch distribution.

The impact felt cross-distribution could be immense. If there is enough participation, though any amount helps.

But that means switching to Arch and being willing to learn The Arch Way. That includes following the Arch Installation Guide and not some YouTube video or install script. None of those other methods--or distros--are supported. So if you do sign up, please be aware of these very important facets.

For myself, I'm perfectly happy having recently got (Arch) Stable all figured out on this new desktop machine--it's different from the laptop I've been running Arch or Manjaro on for the past few years. :smiley:

But I do intend to follow the process. Thank you, @jonathon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Arch testing here for 5 years what is this about breakages cause i don't attract them. So i would be no use to Manjaro now would I apart from the famous quote, " it works fine here on Arch testing" :+1:

1 Like

Haven't the Incan's sacrificed you, yet?

Well, I just did and I can say this: it is not something to think lightly about. I saw some Manjaro newbees want to sign up. My advice (do with it as you like): forget it. When you're not even a Manjaro "expert", don't even think about wanting to be an Arch tester.
In Manjaro the installer does it all for you. In Arch you have to type dozens of codes to install the basic OS. When you think you are done, you're not. You will end up with a nice black screen, a prompt and a flashing cursor. WTF? What now? Where is my desktop, the starting menu, the mouse-cursor? They are not there cause the DE of your choice is not installed yet, you have to do that yourselve, using, you guessed it, more codes.
When Manjaroos start using Arch-testing to become an official tester, the Arch forum will be overfilled with help supports, something the relationship between the 2 OS'es will not do any good.
If you are serious about doing it then read about Arch as much as you can find on their website, in their wiki. Learn the Arch way so you don't have to ask newbee questions, cause Arch users really don't like that. When they know you use Manjaro and only joined because of this program opportunity, the relationship (which is not perfect already because we use their OS) will only be worse. Help will dry-up soon leaving you in the dark.
Mind you, I'm not saying you shouldn't do but think about it first, think about what will happen when you join as an official Arch tester.

2 Likes

Why would it not be? You would normally be expected to seek any help (if needed) through Anarchy, rather than Arch. There may be teeny, tiny differences--or not. It may be apples=apples to you, but not to the Arch-testing team. That's my best guess, anyway. :smiley:

regards

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark