Arch Linux is dropping 32bit packages (but there's hope!)

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-January/028660.html

if everything goes according to plan, arch linux will drop official support for 32bit packages in november 2017. i expect that volunteers will take over the packaging of 32bit packages. but nobody has stepped up yet and volunteered to become a 32bit packager.
in the worst case, 32bit packages will become rare in manjaro (with exceptions such as skype and steam) in november of this year.

source: discussion on reddit.

3 Likes

Understandable.
64-bit has been around since 13 years on consumer computers.

1 Like

A bunch of lazy, arrogant … ! :rage: joking

2 Likes

i think thats a great decision for focussing on the 64bit plattform. However, what about packages like steam, that require a hughe bundle of 32bit libs? I dont think they’ll drop steam or the native runtime, but that means they have to support many 32bit dependencies.

€dit ahh … it seems to be only about the “real” 32bit things, not the multilib repo on 64bit

3 Likes

i agree.

they will definitely support the multilib repository, which provides 32bit-only packages for 64bit platforms, including all dependencies.

maybe this will force valve a little bit more to release a 64bit packages “soon”.

3 Likes

gosh, I hope that! i’m so waiting for a 64bit-only steam that works for all the modern (>2013) games.

2 Likes

So if I’m running a 32-bit Manjaro install, will I need to stop updating it when 32-bit support drops? Or will most updates for my system just stop coming? Or…?

Considering that alot of software, especially proprietary software, is still 32bit, I think there will still be a long time before someone even dares to think of dropping 32bit completely.

i’d say it’ll run for a while with old packages. Manjaro can fix securitystuff by themself for important libs. For the long run i dont know what could happen here.

But TBH in a vote for dropping 32bit support out of manjaro (and shutting down the 32bit repos) i’d vote for yes (and yes, i also have an 32bit only system here, but with debian)

Maybe (when philm is back) it would be a good idea to think about this just by now and dont even release the 17.x series of manjaro as 32bit install images. because for new users it’d be a bad experience to install a shiny new Manjaro 17.0 32bit that will not be updates anymore a half year later.

2 Likes

We will see what the future brings. It is simply logical to drop i686 at some point. Also most or our community downloads and installs x86_64 releases. For sure v17.0 will support both architectures …

6 Likes

I will run Manjaro on my VIA 1GHz CPU machine as long as it will work.
My netbook is broken, the substitute will be a 12" convertible ThinkPad, 64bit capable.

I don’t buy any technical arguments that a running 32bit system is outdated. There are enough use cases for systems which do not run the newest games.

However I buy the argument, that maintaining s.th. which has very few actual users is a waste of resources. There will be distros who might want to focus on supporting 32bit architecture as long as the systems run. And there will be some systems which don’t even have a 64bit support like Haiku.

4 Likes

It’s not about that or that 32bit is bad in some way. It’s just that it is a PITA on all sides to make 32bit games work on 64bit systems when there is no real reason anymore for developers to only provide 32bit binaries for games and thats something valve should enforce on the steam plattform: standard 64bit, additional 32bit, and make steam itself also 64bit native.

2 Likes

I think Manjaro should in mid term go 64-bit only (+multilib for feckin’ Steam) as well. Those who still need (“need” as in no hardware 64-bit support) 32-bit can use other distros.
Yes, this point of view is a bit radical. As Tids said, there’s nothing bad about 32-bit. It still has some use in many different ways.
I switched to 64-bit in 2005 (Debian), and at that time I thought 32-bit would die in less than 10 years on desktops. Boy, I was wrong.

2 Likes

Just when I thought about getting my old AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton back to work with 32bit Manjaro :stuck_out_tongue:
Guess I can scratch that from the things I could do in the case I have some spare time when visiting my parents ^^

For the Netbook Edition, the advice was i686 is strongly recommended for most netbooks.

1 Like

What a fantastic start for 2017 eh?
Infinality is dead too…

The good parts of Infinality are merged to upstream. I think it was about time to let this project die and move all users back to freetype2.

Newer ATOMs can handle 64bit. I was using lucky that our N450 was also one of them and switched to a Ubuntu64 on it. It wasnt any slower or faster. Today it runs Manjaro64 and is still happy about that fact :wink:

So, what you are saying is, that my son can use my old Dell (2006) this year without problems, but for the next year I maybe should look for another distro or give him a newer device?
I’m so proud that we don’t have to buy new devices as often as Win- and Apple-users have to, only to get up-to-date software to work. My newest machine is a HP-laptop of 2010 and I don’t see any need to upgrade.

No, he’s saying that there will be no updates for 32-bit systems at some point, but 17.0 will still be 32-bit too.
The current 32-bit installations of Manjaro will still function when the 32-bit support goes away, there just won’t be any updates to them.

Hm, a system that doesn’t got any updates anymore can seem to work, but it’s really turning into a zombie.
You can f.ex. still play on my old Zaurus with Opie on it, but I wouldn’t call it a working system because there is no chance to update it and install different software.

Forum kindly sponsored by