Arabic text showing in wrong font

Hello,

I'm facing an issue that was reported a few times in the forum, but none of the solutions worked for me. When I type Arabic letters, I see a font not designed for Arabic language which makes the Arabic text unreadable.

One solution said to install ttf-ms-win10 10.0.17763.1-1 from AUR but it could not install. I got a list of:
Unable to find file://[fontname].ttf, please read the PKGBUILD
and then at the end
ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

I also downloaded Arabic language pack for Firefox (firefox-i18n-ar 66.0.3-0) but it made no difference because the issue did not get fixed in Firefox.

Another solution was per below thread

But i could not create the file suggested
I don't have this path~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/
I have instead this: /etc/fonts/conf.d
Is that the same?
Would the same code from the solution work?
At any rate, I could not save the file because it said permission denied. I have to save the file as root? I don't know how to do that.

I saw in my conf.d a file 65-nonlatin.conf. For Arabic (ar) which I imagine is getting applied for Arabic - the font is some weird name. Can I change it from there? Would that work?

<family>B Davat</family> <!-- arabic (fa) -->
<family>B Compset</family> <!-- arabic (fa) -->
<family>Kacst-Qr</family> <!-- arabic (ar) -->
<family>Urdu Nastaliq Unicode</family> <!-- arabic (ur) -->

Thanks,

User specific configurations are stored in ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/, if you dont have that path create it

mkdir -p ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/

System wide configurations are stored in /etc/fonts/conf.d, but to add the file there you should have root access.
To install ttf-ms-win10, and because the ttf files are proprietary you need to get them from a windows 10 installation.

1 Like

I had no idea that /.config would be a hidden directory - I already had it but it wouldn't come up because it was hidden.
I applied your fix from the other thread and it worked when I rebooted.
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark