Applications Unresponsive after System Upgrade

So Basically i’ve been using the Manjaro i3 Distro for some time now.

Im running it via Virtual Box on my main machine since it was the best possible option for me and everything works fine so far.

But every time i try to upgrade the system either via pacman -Syu or yay and reboot my system afterwards every application becomes unresponsive while being on screen.
Meaning that when i open a terminal i cant see what im typing. When i type something and open another terminal afterwards next to it, i can see what i wrote in the first terminal. But even when switching then then input is not being shown or visible. The same goes for Dmenu or anything else basically.

I’ve installed some single AUR Packages, which i know is not good to do but thats not the issue, since this problem also occurs if i upgrade a fresh install of the vm right after installation from the image.

I didnt know where best to put this in the forum but i guessed this couldnt be some good place.

If you have any questions on setup or terminal output let me know

Multiple packages then …

Depending on your Host, the Virtual Box version and the VM settings (especially what Graphics Controller you set for it) the VM Manjaro install and update will provide the latest virtual-guest-utils so, you should first make sure you have the latest installed on your Host too.

This will give some ideas of better practices for updating in general

In other words:

• refresh mirrors
    sudo pacman-mirrors -f5
  • update the system by using
    sudo pacman -Syyu
  • you can do all at once with both commands
    sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

Which makes it depending on the host graphics

You are talking about the Manjaro guest, right? The phrase try to upgrade implies some measure of failure. In which way did the update not succeed?

That is likely an issue with the graphics of host system - to little graphics memory assigned to the guest vm - possibly - opacity may also create funny issues with the guest system window - perhaps the host system is running an earlier version of virtualbox where you Manjaro will always use the latest applicable guest utils.

the VM Manjaro install and update will provide the latest virtual-guest-utils so, you should first make sure you have the latest installed on your Host too.

Did that and made sure Manjaro also has the matching one to my VirtualBox Version

In other words:

• refresh mirrors
    sudo pacman-mirrors -f5
  • update the system by using
    sudo pacman -Syyu
  • you can do all at once with both commands
    sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

I also did all that followed by

pamac upgrade -a

Still the only thing that happens afterwards is my System being unresponsive again.

Depending on your Host, the Virtual Box version and the VM settings (especially what Graphics Controller you set for it)

Im Using the latest Virtual Box Version 7.0.4 and Graphics Controller is set to VMSVGA without 3D Acceleration cause i didnt figure out if i’d need it or not. The Graphics Memory is set to full 128mb.

Otherwise the VM has 16gigs of Ram and 6 CPU Cores set to it.

You are talking about the Manjaro guest, right?

Yes and the term implies the failure i mean that the system becomes unresponsive after the update which in my book wouldnt count as a successfull update even tho the upgrade completed without errors.

I also took some Screenshot of how the unresponsiveness is shown:

Screenshots

It is hard to suggest what may be triggering this - mostly because we have the unknown variable of the host config and OS .

Do you mind sharing some info on the host specifikation and current OS?

Is your profile referring to the host - and i3 to the guest

• Branch: Stable
  • Desktop Environment: i3
  • CPU: AMD FX 3900X
  • GPU: RX 6700 XT

In the past, ceph-libs or python2 are built and responsible for being stuck in the middle.

Without a log of the update, there is not much to say.

Yes i3 is just referring to the guest system. The rest is of my Host System. The Guest System is running on 6 Cores and 8 Gigs of Ram.

Oh and the Host OS is Windows 11

If you need anything else let me know

What’s the best way to get the update log so I can provide it to you?

cat /var/log/pacman.log | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

You will get a link - share the link

Your issue is most definetely graphics related - I just don’t see how.

There is possibly a slight discrepancy between your - I assume - up-to-date VirtualBox in Windows and the Manjaro kernel modules for stable branch. I cannot test as I only use virtualised Windows.

With this topic I feel a bit blindsided - so my suggestion is experimental at best :slight_smile:

Start with creating a snapshot of your vm - while powered off. This makes it possible to roll back if you should feel so inclined.

• Boot the vm and don’t login
  • Use the host key - usually Right Ctrl - and e.g. F4 to open real console (TTY).
  • Authenticate yourself
  • Switch your system to unstable and run a full sync
    sudo pacman-mirrors -a -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro -S unstable  && sudo pacman -Syyu

• When done - reboot the vm - and see if this made a positive change.

If it did there was indeed a slight difference between Manjaro stable modules and Manjaro unstable modules.

My personal opinion - based on my experience - when using VirtualBox as either host or guest - using unstable branch prevent some hard to troubleshoot issues.

EDIT
Another thought - color schema

Just played around with i3 and I must say I am no fan of i3 or the configs provided - especially the the maia console theme.

Log: http://ix.io/4kFJ

Sadly even on unstable it still broke everything and the terminal and everything else is unresponsive again.

Maybe the log helps you finding the error

Unresponsive - but it cannot be unresponsive when you can open a new terminal and input text - although you cannot see the text.

So excatly what does unresponsive mean? Is it just because you cannot see what you are writing?

There is a really strange section in your log - looks like filesystem error. If this is the case you may have other filesystem errors causing your system to malfunction

2022-12-22T00:02:18

I suggest you try creating a new vm and install a fresh i3 - update it an see if it creates similar issues.

EDIT - just tested a vbox vm with i3 - no issues - running on Manjaro host using Intel CPU/GPU

Unresponsive means that I can open applications like my terminal and dmenu. But after opening it there is no prompt in both of them displayed and the input I write is not visible for until I open e.g. a new terminal next to it. This happens on all Applications that kind of “render” their user visuals.

I will try the new VM later and post the results again

So as suggested i tried creating a new vm with a fresh i3.

I even downloaded a new fresh image for that one and recorded the whole vm installation and the update, which sadly again caused the said bug. But now in the Video i guess you can see what i mean. The Dmenu you see me open shortly also had no visible response to my input.

The Update Log of the fresh VM: http://ix.io/4kK6

The Video of the creation and installation: Manjaro i3 VM Fresh Install - YouTube

By the time im posting this the video is still getting processed so this may take an hour or so till its playable.

I have no idea as I am a complete foreigner with i3

picom is autostarted in line 276 in .i3/config

You can use $mod+t to kill picom and $mod+Ctrl+t to start it.

So when this works - perhaps somehting changed with picom - :man_shrugging: - after I began flirting with kwin on lxqt - I have moved to a trimmed down plasma on wayland.

Well. That works…

Whats picom for?

picom is a compositor for X11 - GitHub - yshui/picom: A lightweight compositor for X11

How did you figure out whats the problem?

Putting facts together - subtractning known factors - consider whats left - like a :male_detective:

Since picom is a layer between what the system does and what you see - it was part of what was left.

I cannot say if it is picom or the grahpics of vbox - but as it is in-between - it seemed logical to check.

So I hunted for picom in .i3/config and provided the details - you checked and viola - a workaround was found.

Any way. Thank you so much for your effort :smiley: