Application like notify-send.sh doesn't work

I tried multiple applications like notify-send for custom popup notifications but nothing works. I tried notify-desktop-git and toastify-git from aur.

I initially thought this was the package’s fault then toastify prints a message:
$ toastify send "Hello"
"Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

What to do?

I am using i3-gaps wm(originally it is xfce). Is xfce’s default notification shower thingy interfering with this or something?

SOLUTION: Just get dunst or similar notification server runnin in the background.

Is dunst not working for you?

I remember having a similar problem 2 years ago when I was also running i3+xfce. However I don’t remember how I fixed it as I switched to i3+kde - funnily enough presenting the same problem.
Whenever I move from i3 to KDE I have to remove dunst (default notifier in i3), else dunst would also be used by KDE instead of its own notifier.

What a ■■■■■■, it needs dunst running for it to actually work.
I ran dunst in one terminal then tried running notify-send it works now.
Now i need to customize dunstrc or something.

Have you installed any notification server? For instance xfce4-notifyd should do the job.

It works. I just need dunst in background.
Thank you anyway.

The packages should specify that notification servers must be runnin in the background for these to work. They just lazy.

That’s quite obvious isn’t it?

Arch Wiki is your friend. :smiley:

It wasn’t obvious for me. Since they didn’t specify, I thought it works standalone.

Nevermind :slight_smile: your problem is solved or isn’t it?
If yes, please mark the thread as “solved”.