Application launched but no package installed

Hello all!

To get a bit of context, I wanted to install KDE Kontact in order to manage all my emails, contacts and calendars. Since I installed it I just have a lot of issue to configure it. So I wanted to properly uninstall it one more time and then reinstall it with another method.

The main issue I have is that I remove the software from the Konsole which is confirmed when I want to launch it from the Konsole but the application is can be started from the menu … So I do not know exactly how to fully uninstall it. Do you have any ideas about this issue?

Thanks to all for your time.

If terminal shows its removed, it is removed. Most probably there is is some .desktop file of kontact in ~/.local/share/applications folder. Please check and if it is so, delete that .desktop file (or better rename that).

And since you mentioned,

why are you reinstalling an application just to reconfigure that? The config files should be somewhere like ~/.config/kontact and ~/.local/share/kontact. Find out those folders and if you delete those folders, you can start your app from scratch.

Blockquote If terminal shows its removed, it is removed. Most probably there is is some .desktop file of kontact in ~/.local/share/applications folder. Please check and if it is so, delete that .desktop file (or better rename that).

I understand your logic which is also mine but I attached a printscreen illustrating the terminal feedback and the application running side-by-side.

I went to the directory you mentioned but I had no .desktop file related to Kontact.

Blockquote why are you reinstalling an application just to reconfigure that?

The answer is that I am rather a newbie with old formatted practices and I did not react like I should on this :sweat_smile:

Blockquote why are you reinstalling an application just to reconfigure that? The config files should be somewhere like ~/.config/kontact and ~/.local/share/kontact. Find out those folders and if you delete those folders, you can start your app from scratch.

I made a search about Kontact configuration file from ‘/’ and I am wondering if this can be related to the installation process. I have a lot of file related to Kontact in the ‘./var/lib/flatpak/app/org.kde.kontact’. Maybe still a newbie question but is it possible that the command from the terminal is trying to launch the app from a non existing package in a directory and, on the other hand, that the software launcher is starting the software from the Flatpack directory? Because I found a file named ‘org.kde.kontact.desktop’ in the Flatpak directory.

You installed kontact as flatpak?

Blockquote You installed kontact as flatpak?

The very first time yes. I guess that the next step is to clean the Flatpak directory related to the Kontact application.

The command is -
flatpak uninstall --delete-data name-of-app
Most probably it is flatpak uninstall --delete-data org.kde.kontact
But you can get the name from flatpak list

1 Like

Blockquote The command is -
flatpak uninstall --delete-data name-of-app

Thanks for your time and patience. The application is now definitely gone. I apologize for this mistake.

1 Like

There is nothing to apologize. We learn through our mistakes and together make the community better. :innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.