Application icons are not show in application menu / launcher if installed on wine

Possibly. That’s the “dashboard” widget.

@Rulinux: Does the same issue occur (“empty icons”) if you try with another launcher? What about the default KDE menu launcher?

Results in

1165_PhotoLine32.0.png
8BD2_PhotoLine.0.png
EBC7_PhotoLine.0.png
1165_PhotoLine32.0.png
8BD2_PhotoLine.0.png
EBC7_PhotoLine.0.png
1165_PhotoLine32.0.png
8BD2_PhotoLine.0.png
EBC7_PhotoLine.0.png
1165_PhotoLine32.0.png
8BD2_PhotoLine.0.png
EBC7_PhotoLine.0.png
1165_PhotoLine32.0.png
8BD2_PhotoLine.0.png
EBC7_PhotoLine.0.png

I have tried to change the launcher but now the launcher icon is completely gone. Do not know how to bring it back?
If I use “alt+space” (Krunner) than the application appears with icon!!
I believe there is a problem with the application launcher!?

Right-click on the Panel, then select “Add Widgets”.

You can try out different launchers in the meantime. Currently, “Application Dashboard” might have an issue with these icon files and/or the way they must be defined in the .desktop file.

Try with “Application Launcher”. It is the default menu launcher for KDE.

So this is not your first installation. Are there more than one desktop file for Photorec?

ls -R ~/.local/share/applications | grep "PhotoLine"

Results in

PhotoLine
/home/omlinux/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/PhotoLine:
PhotoLine.desktop
PhotoLine entfernen.desktop

1. How can I get back my application launcher (icon) on the very left bottom? It is gone when I tried to change back to the standard KDE launcher.

I wrote above how you can add/remove widgets and launchers.

There have to be ONLY one desktop file for each EXE. Wine does not remove desktop files, even if you uninstall it. So That have to be done by hand.

So remove the wrong one and update the database:

Again a communication problem! :sweat_smile:
The icon is completely gone. No launcher icon anymore even to reach the settings. Very strange!!
launcher icon

I do not get your meaning. I have only installed photoline and mp3 once. See the result of (+screenshot)

wine uninstaller

:point_down:

:point_up_2:

Have you tried this?

Ok let me explain it easy:

1. You install a win app inside wine.
  2. Wine creates icons and a desktop file in your home folder. So that it is visible in the applauncher etc.
  3. These files are just created and never deleted.
  4. If you reinstall it, then old desktop files still remain and will not work.

So my guess is that the applauncher catches the old desktop file and not the new one.

What is strange here:

Here you see the desktop file in /home/omlinux/.local/share/applications/

But here it is not listed…

So my guess is that there were 2 desktop files.

Yes. Now I understand. I have the application launcher back! Thanks! :smile:

As I said before all icons worked before well right from the beginning but no pictures icons. Also in the application menu at least there were quite never duplicates only due to Winnie’s suggestion I have copied another desktop file into the ~.local/share/applications/ folder. This is what you see in the screenshot. Because it did not solve the problem, I have deleted them again because they are already in the wine subfolder. It did not came from a double installation. I am pretty sure I only installed once the 2 applications because it is complete new set up.
If I look into the application launcher only once the icons appear after deleting the trial again.

To install an .exe file I usually simply open the right-mouse tab “opening with wine”. That’s it. Is this the better way to install wine .exe?
How to use wine (Deutsch)

wine programname.exe

I have found the SOLUTION for the invisible picture of the desktop icon: In the meantime I have restarted the computer. Definitely not immediately after restart but waiting while ALL three launcher show the correct picture icons. Very strange!! But at least working.

Thank you very much to all of you for your effort. :melting_face: :grinning:

I give up. I don’t even know anymore. :sob:

I’m glad it’s “working” for you now. Not sure what fixed it.

Could you please share what solution worked for you?

I followed this thread, and went so far as downloading the software and installing it, but could not reproduce the problem you had, the icons all showed up (I use Application Menu). Thanks.

I guess this delay comes from encryption or using a HDD or maybe both.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.