Application broken on one PC but ok on another PC after update

I two PC’s with Manjaro installed.

After update today, Blender (AUR) crashes on one, but, runs normally on the other.

On the one where it crashes, an appimage of the same version of Blender of the runs fine. This would lead me to guess there is a dependency issue. But, no clue how to determine what that might be.

The core dump that Blender creates has no info, other than the version.

So, I’m looking for ideas of what to look at/for…

The PC that crashes:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.109.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.4.14-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 6 × AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: TAHITI

The Pc that is fine:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.109.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.1.51-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: System76, Inc.
Product Name: Serval WS
System Version: serw9

The machine with the problem is on AMD graphics, so in order to use blender there, you need mesa-nonfree, which you can find here.

The machine with Nvidia won’t have a problem with it, nor will machines with Intel graphics. It’s just with AMD graphics that there’s a problem with blender, and the mesa-nonfree package will remedy that. :wink:

Hmm…I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

But, I’m wondering why it worked through many updates, then after yesterday’s update it didn’t.

Did the tahiti drivers update…I didn’t take notice if there was a radeon update listed, so I’ll probably never know. :frowning:

I’m not sure which component got changed, but there was indeed a change in the last update which caused blender to stop working on AMD graphics if mesa-nonfree isn’t installed.

Other people have reported the same issue as well, and installing mesa-nonfree fixes it. So it’s a known issue — you’re not alone. :wink:

Please excuse my inexperience here…

mesa from the official repos shows as installed.

There is a git/AUR version not installed.

And, the link you posted is apparently different than those.

I’m not sure how to proceed. Do I add the repo as noted in the link, then remove what I have then add the mesa-nonfree in the link?

For the record, I followed the instructions in the link, then there were some updates available for the mesa drivers.

I applied the updates and appears to have fixed the issue.

Thanks again!

1 Like

The mesa-nonfree project is entirely handled by the Manjaro community, but for legal reasons it cannot be included in the official Manjaro repos.

You must indeed add the repo, as described, and then you install the matching mesa-nonfree packages for your system by way of a regular update procedure with pacman, after first updating your mirrors with pacman-mirrors. :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu 

This should normally replace the official version of the vulkan and mesa stuff on your machine with the updated versions, and this will continue being updated upon every next update, just as with the packages from the regular repos. :wink:

Apparently that’s what happened. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.