AppimageLauncher crashes system can't login

Recently with the last update I came across an odd bug. I like using appimages if the app doesn’t exist in Pamac as they are really portable and after a new install i would usually add appimagelauncher as a time saver (lazy option) to adding the apps to menu to make it easier to find and run them. However in one of the latest updates the app seams to have totally broken my system to the point where I had to do a wipe and reinstall of the OS.

What happened exactly is after installing appimagelauncher and modifying the default directory for placing integrated appimages my system would freeze necessitating a hard reset, then when attempting to log back in I would be left with a black screen after logging in with high cpu usage (judging by the fan usage) and no desktop. I would get the same result whether using xorg or wayland sessions.

To try to remedy this I logged in to the tty terminal and removed the packages installed with appimagelauncher and rebooted the system but this had no effect on being able to login to a desktop session.

I’m posting this here as a warning and to check if anyone else has had a similar issue recently

I tagged this with kde plasma as I can confirm the issue occurs with that desktop but not sure if it is related.

Hullo,
Welcome. Because you are new here I will attach a general posting guide:

So how did you install appimagelauncher and what are these modifications you made?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Your topic title is misleading. Please tell us what actually happened that caused you to “wipe and reinstall the system”. Recent updates have nothing to to with the appimagelauncher package. It has always worked fine for me.

I installed appimagelauncher from Pamac and changed the destination where appimages should be moved to (./local/bin) during integration. There is only one other configuration which is “watch folders” that the demon will check for new appimages.

The first time this happened was after a major update including components of the plasma desktop so I had no idea that appimagelauncher was causing the issue.

However after a clean install and gradually installing the apps I would normally use everything was working fine until I installed and updated the settings of appimagelauncher so I know the issue is related to how it is interacting with the desktop presumably part of the plasma update is what is the root cause?

BTW i have been a linux user since 2009 and this isn’t my first rodeo dealing with an update breaking my system which is why I always keep my files on removable media, but i never give up using linux because for 99.99999% of the time it is the best os ever made.

I have opened an issue on the appimagelauncher git hub page link below

https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher/issues/612