Any plans to support the Pinebook?

you can check what the kde neon folks did

I just uploaded an new image alpha2.
See if this one boots.

I’m going after what Arch Linux ARM does in their installation guide for Pine64. :slight_smile:

With this one, when I turn the Pinebook on, I get a power light and a black screen (no backlight), and it stays like that. The last one simply ignored the microSD, so clearly you did accomplish something, but it still doesn’t boot.

Hm. I did what ever Arch Linux install instructions says to be done for the pine64.
I’m betting I still need some software of some kind…

I’ve uploaded an alpha3 now.

For some reason it seemed like linux-firmware was not installed, so I explicitly started installing it in alpha3. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
If that one does not work either, then I have no idea what I am missing,
I’ve compared packages between the Arch Linux ARM image and the Manjaro ARM images, and they seems to contain about the same packages. Especially related to firmware and kernel/drivers.
So if anyone have any idea what could be missing, don’t hesitate to contact me. I will happily create an image that can be tested.

@sez11a and whoever else like to test things and has a pine64 based board/laptop.

I made an alpha4, which is now in my shared nextcloud folder, that I posted earlier.
I feel confident that I’m at least getting closer to a booting system.

Please test it and provide feedback. :slight_smile:

Sorry; busy day yesterday; I never touched a computer.

Alpha 4 still produces only a black screen. There must be something different between the Pine64 and the Pinebook; I know the images on the pine64 site for each machine are not the same. I’ll download/test the Arch Pinebook image after this and see if that boots for me.

Okay; here’s some more information:

1. The Arch Linux image has two partitions: image

2. When booting the Arch Linux image on the Pinebook, I see a uboot message before the kernel starts:

I’m guessing that this is required to get it to boot. I don’t see this message on the Netrunner image I’m currently running, probably because they have a splash screen hiding it.

Weird. The Arch Linux ARM install page for the pine64 does not mention a seperate boot partition. It only has one.

Which image did you download from Arch?

Out of curiosity what sort of firmware or BIOS does the Pinebook have?

The Pine Wiki links over here to the image for both the Pinebook and the Pine64. You’ll see that there are different images for the Pine64 and the Pinebook. I’m assuming there’s a reason for that, but I don’t have a Pine64 to compare with my Pinebook.

@whm1974 here are the specifications on the Pinebook: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Main_Page#SoC_and_Memory_Specification. They also have a complete schematic here: http://files.pine64.org/doc/pinebook/pinebook_mainboard_schematic_3.0.pdf

The schematic is beyond what I currently understand. :slight_smile:

Hm, those images are pretty old. But I will see what I can. :slight_smile:

Right that dosn’t tell me anything about the Firmware it boots from, such as with x86-64 systems it’s BIOS or UEFI.

Yeah; the image is old. I had to download a pretty big update for it.

@whm1974 I have no idea how to tell what firmware it boots from. I have inxi output above; if there’s anything else you want me to run, I’ll be happy to do it.

So it just boots from the eMMC if there isn’t a MicroSD card in. Why couldn’t they use a full XCSD slot instead? I don’t about you but with the small size of MicroSD cards they are easy to lose.

That seems to be a trend, more and more laptops come with microsd readers instead of SD readers.

Is it because Cell phone have MicroSD cards?

I honestly don’t know the reasons. I also find it irritating though. You can get an adapter to put a microsd card in your sd slot but the opposite doesn’t work so well.

No idea. Raspberry Pi is the same way. The trend is smaller and lighter, which was definitely a design goal for the Pinebook.

Checked out the images and they both sport a BOOT partition. Which are both empty.
But I will try creating one and seeing if that helps. Other than that, they are using custom packages, not in the repo’s, like the kernel, so I don’t have high hopes here.