Any modern Motherboard brands that are free of UEFI/Secure boot technology?

I find UEFI / Secure Boot technology in modern PCs a real pain, and resent that it seems to be forced on consumers when buying a more modern computer, as there appears to be little choice out there.

Are there any other modern Motherboard brands that are supplied without this cumbersome technology and instead have Bios or Legacy type of setup built in to them?

Looking forward to reading any of your replies …

1 Like

I think it’s a system on the motherboard, not in the CPU.

1 Like

Most UEFI based motherboards can still run in legacy BIOS mode. It is possible on these systems to boot Linux installation media in either UEFI or BIOS mode, then install it in the mode in which it was booted.

I don’t know much about the technical details so thankyou for pointing out that this technology is in the motherboard & also for the wiki link which I’ll now have a read of… I will edit the above post & title so that it is more correct - many thanks

Thanks for your reply ben81 - in theory I agree with everything you’ve said.

But… in practice I’ve found our UEFI gaming laptop, an Asus G750JS, only seems to run smoothly with either Win8.1 (that it came pre-installed with), or Win10. Win7 will run, but only with CSM/Legacy on (Secure Boot off) in the PC’s settings. However Win7 isn’t worth running on this machine, as it will often go to a blue screen to “dump” before rebooting.

I’ve also found instability to plague WindowsOS/Linux dual-boots in either the CSM/Legacy or UEFI computer setting, and sometimes also in Linux-only single- or dual-boot setups. Even when I install with a Legacy computer setting, I always have to choose the UEFI option at USB-pendrive installation stage. A “Signature Key Violation” prevents me from installing the non-UEFI option from the USB-pendrive, so I have to always use the UEFI option on the USB-pendrive, for both Legacy or UEFI computer settings. Following a crash (failure to reboot), I will often then go into the laptop’s Boot settings and sometimes find that the Device Boot List has mysteriously cleared itself with no device at all to boot from !

I contrast the above experience with our 3 other laptops - all BIOS-only machines, manufactured from 6 to 10 years ago. On these machines, multi-boot & single-boot setups run extremely smoothly and there appear to be no stability issues - they are reliably rock steady. My favourite is our 10 year old Dell Latitude D630, that runs a Manjaro/Linux Lite/Win7 triple boot. I bought the Dell 2 years ago, from Amazon, for only £70: compare this with the £1200 paid out for the above Asus, that has been nothing but troublesome…

Set the bios to legacy usb and see what happens worked for me not same board, or google my board did the same till i googled and found the answers

1 Like

Yes, I’ve used Legacy/CSM in the laptop’s Settings, but still have problems. Yes, it might be worth googling my motherboard for any useful tips …

Actually if you buid your pc and not buy a prebuilt computer. There no uefi and I have built plenty of computers for people. There no UEFI in the bios of the mother board on custom built machine. I build machines for a hobby for people and it fun hobby. They even make custom build kits for laptops and there is company out of computer shopper that been advertising the kits.

Yes, there are still some x86_64-based MB’s being manufactured today without UEFI. These are strictly Legacy/Bios/MBR only.
For example, the entire line of “Asus M5A78L-*”, and Gigabyte have similar line of non-UEFI/non-SB MB’s.
The above are am3/am3+ sockets, but I’m sure they also have Intel socket ones, and they’re still being sold everywhere.

BUT, any “newer” Laptops, and/or Desktop-CPU’s like Ryzen’s(AM4), Intel *-Lakes, or i9’s, …, their MB’s are going to have UEFI in them.

There are even gaming motherboards such as Ryzien amd mother board

those are “2 x 128 AMI UEFI Bios”, and that’s NOT what the OP was asking.

1 Like

I have no uefi on my custom built machine. Manjaro never had to install that way bud. So if you say so pretty sure I know what I am doing. The only uefi machine i have is prebuilt hp laptop.

What do you mean “custom-built”? -'cause the specs of your above link to that “Gigabyte AORUS AX370-Gaming” MB emphatically state “UEFI”.
Did you mean setting it to CSM-Legacy mode? -if so, then again, that’s not what the OP was asking for.

2 Likes

The signature key violation happens if you don’t disable Secure Boot, which comes with only Microsoft’s keys on most laptops with Windows 8-10 preinstalled.

4 Likes

Yes, my experience too, though there were sometimes problems even when Secure Boot was disabled …

Yes I was confused too by the Ryzien amd motherboard link as it has UEFI.
I am interested to hear about any modern Motherboards (for gaming) that don’t have UEFI built in to them (as is the case with older ones)…

For example, Raspberry Pi’s and other single-board computers don’t have UEFI motherboards (as far as I know), but they are a bit low on spec for gaming …

They all have it was a requirement agreed by all parties. They can all be used without secure boot enabled contact the MB manufacturer of how to unable if unsure, mine is a gigabyte gaming board not that i do games it was easy to do using the manual supplied I run everything in legacy including win10 on it. The only thing that Ithad a promlem with was net, and USB3 not enabled but that was soon sorted by Google .

1 Like

Yeah I misread parts of this. What I meant was disabling uefi boot. My feeling is it seems to be a little slower in booting. I guess that just my opinion since I have no actual factual data to base it on.

Could you give a few more details where / how you set bios to Legacy USB - not sure what you mean - are you saying that in the computer’s Settings under Boot there is an option to choose USB booting as either Legacy or UEFI?

In the Asus G750’s Settings, I can set the machine to boot either Legacy/CSM or UEFI, but you seem to be saying there is a similar choice for the USB booting (I’m assuming you are referring here to the installation of the distro on the machine) …

for years now I disable CSM/Legacy completely because UEFI-only is so much more pain free … :joy:

But yes - secure-boot is a bad, useless thing.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by