Boot Loader Disappeared (Dual Boot Setup - Win11 and Manjaro Cinnamon)

Unfortunately I am at work and don’t have access to system specs - but I wanted to get the ball rolling on this to see if there were any updated recommendations on fixing this issue. I did some searching and found a variety of fixes, with contradictory information based on age of post. I was hoping to find the current recommended solution for Sep 2022.

This morning when I went to use my computer I had an error on one of my monitors that recommended that I install a proper boot device and restart the computer. Never a good sign!

This computer is currently set up to dual boot between Win11 and Manjaro Cinnamon. I admin that I haven’t actually logged into Windows in about 6 months, and didn’t plan on doing so until next year’s tax season. Anyway, when I ctrl-alt-del the system immediately booted into windows. The boot loader is gone.

So, I powered it off and turned it back on to check to see if the boot loader would be displayed and no luck.

I loaded up a Manjaro USB and confirmed that I still could see the Manjaro installation, but I need to restore the boot loader.

I am guessing one of the recent package updates that I installed caused this issue since I haven’t actually used Windows in months.

As per one of the articles I found it recommended I use the following command in terminal:
manjaro-chroot -a
but that command didn’t work - it waited for more input from me.

I do know the location of the install so I assume I could try:
sudo grub-install /dev/location but wanted to confirm that is the recommended way to fix the issue.

I don’t know if it is relevant, but my location isn’t a sda/b/c/etc but more like nvme0m1 which is kind of weird.

I will probably end up installing Manjaro to a separate HD, but first I want to get access so I can more easily move some app settings over.

manjaro-chroot -a doesnt work with btrfs, if you are using it …
after you chrooted, first rerun update:
pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && pacman -Syyu
if there are no errors and is up to date, check if you are using bios or efi with:
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
and depending on what the output is reinstall grub:

if unsure just ask

So, just before heading to work I did install a new Manjaro on a separate SSD. Didn’t do anything beyond that and then posted my OP.

When I got home I managed to get into my root using chroot and ran the update as you suggested. Yet another Vivaldi update, but that was it.

The next command yielded a BIOS result, so I followed the guide for BIOS in your link. The first command yielded an error (I did change the /dev/ location to the proper one) about an incompatibility (I will have to reboot to get the error again, should have taken a picture with my phone). I had to reboot into Windows to get my info to post here, and forgot the error.

However, when I rebooted into the new Manjaro again and looked at the bootloader, I did notice that it had 2 entries. One for the “new” Manjaro, and another one on my old /dev/nvme0n1p6. So, I gave it a try and it loaded up fine.

So, I don’t know if the error would have been related to the fact that there was already a bootloader connected, or if the previous command created that location.

So, thanks to you!

I don’t know if this counts as fixed, but this does allow me access to both Manjaros so I can move things over.

Thanks again!