Any experience with Librewolf? I have a problem

I have just started using Librewolf browser, I saw it recommended from a linux user on YT. However, there is a major problem with it. It doesn’t save any of my search history and it never restores previous sessions, even though I’ve set it to do so in preferences. The whole thing is really weird actually. It’s like it just ignores everything I set it to. I was hoping maybe someone here has some knowledge on this, so I don’t have to switch browser again.

Good evening General :wink:

No experience, it would help if you could tell us if you use the appimage, AUR or a manual install.

Have you started the program from the terminal? Usually errors/info will show and might give a hint why the settings are not saved/read.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Sorry. I used AUR I believe, but I didn’t start it from terminal though. I could check that, thanks!
I also found that whenever I click any links from my mailclient, instead of opening Librewolf, it starts Wine instead. Then it just sort of hangs until I manually end Wine. So if I want to open links from my mail client in Librewolf, I have to copy/paste it into the browser. This is all so weird! lol

Also I see there is a forum on gitlab, and there’s a whole section on problems with Linux…so, basically I no longer have Librewolf, to make the story short. I saw it and I just didn’t have it in me to start all this troubleshooting and problemsolving just for a new browser. So I’m now back on Firefox. Sorry for the inconvenience though!

Also, you got my nick-reference I see, first time I’ve heard it actually and I’ve used the nick for a long time :smile: Nice

2 Likes

It seems like a major effort from the people building and maintaining it. A browser is it’s own OS nowadays so it becomes rather complex, so there will be all kinds of issues. Taking upstream code and modifying it to do something the original developers had not envisioned and keeping it all in sync to get the upstream benefit and the downstream value.

There are some alternatives, all with their benefits, and drawbacks. Waterfox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi and loads more. If you want privacy, the tor browser / VPN / pihole / noscript / add blockers, containers, extensions, etc are viable options. For minimal use cases, the suckles.org surf browser or project Gemini are interesting avenues to pursue but not for everyone.

If one wants a modern feature rich browser , the development needs to be financed somehow, some form of payment is in order, developers need a roof, food and a life to. Best I’ve found is to work ones way to a solution that makes one feel comfortable with the ‘transaction’. eg. I use a service so what do I want to give back in return? Only the sun rises for free, is an expression here :slight_smile:

I guess we watched the same old tv-shows :smiley: and I’m happy that this is the case as I would not want to offend/confuse a bearer of the same name with the frivolous salutation I used.

:beers:

1 Like

I use Librewolf as my major search browser, but keep a less privacy oriented version of Firefox Development Edition for coding projects, etc.

Basically privacy costs speed. Try running a Tor Browser over a VPN and you’ll get what I mean, it 's just slow by comparison to a browser with no restrictions put on it. Don’t get me wrong I still use Ublock Origin and Decentraleyes on the FireFox Development Edition browser, but other than using https only in the settings and remembering NOTHING, I don’t do the extra hardening that I apply/is preapplied to Librewolf.

Basically Librewolf is hardened like crazy which I also use with a protonvpn connection made for private browsing (just don’t want my data to be profited from…sorry FAANG) which still gives me better speeds than TOR. But Firefox Developer’s Edition is for learning web dev in and it’s ideal for that purpose as without any adjustments, I can see how my projects would look on any modern web browser.

I love both, but as I’m equally interested in web dev and privacy, and also as a beginner programmer, I’m experimenting with both browsers to get a good understanding of what many modern users are concerned with: privacy, but also experience.

1 Like