Antergos Linux Project Ends

Manjaro may soon become the home of former Antergos users.

3 Likes

oh. feelings.

I do wish Dustin, Alex, & Gustau the best!

5 Likes

We welcome you oh fellow Arch brothers. Together we shall maintain.

8 Likes

Why? Antergos users will get pure Arch, effortlessly. :wink:

That is a shame but there are a lot more "easy to install" Arch derivatives these days than there used to be.

But new joiners or people who need to re-install will probably not go to Arch. Many will be looking for something easier to install. Also, some people will leave because the project died even if it is not technically required.

3 Likes

My conjecture is that many Antergos users (many, not all) like to boot into a live environment before installing the OS and do not wish to configure all the system's components individually (CUPS, wireless etc.). Manjaro will then be a natural choice for such users. At the very least, Manjaro will become a natural choice for people who would otherwise choose to run Antergos.

2 Likes

@jsbach & @dalto
I meant they'll get it whether they like it or not. :smile:

1 Like

That's too bad for the Antergos users, but it will be nice to see new users who are familiar with Arch migrating to Manjaro. Not more Users from Mint who came here when they got rid of their KDE edition. Not knocking mint, just saying that the "why isn't apt-get working" posts get old real fast.

8 Likes

Another reason is that the Antergos forums will become less populated. The Arch forums do not welcome questions from people who installed their systems through Antergos. In contrast, the Manjaro forums are very helpful.

3 Likes

Ha ha, I even just solved a wifi problem for an Ubuntu user a little while ago. Now I need to go wash up I think. I'm feeling a little unclean. :smile:

6 Likes

Now seriously. That is exactly reason why i stick with base distro's.

Previously, two other Arch-based distributions were discontinued: Apricity Linux and Revenge OS (formerly known as OB Revenge). I had Revenge OS installed in one of my laptops when it came to an end. I then replaced it with Manjaro.

Exactly. Heck, I started my modern linux journey with Antergos, swtiched to pure Arch after three days, installed it, played around with it, and when choosing to reinstall picked first SwagArch then Manjaro. I can do pure Arch, but I don't understand why I should. The only thing to brag about is "We didn't feel like making an installer".

6 Likes

That's too bad. Their installer "Cnchi" could be a pain in the ass sometimes, but at least it was somehow different. It hurts even more to me because it was based from Spain, and another one that bites the dust...

Anyway, such is life and Linux environment. Thank them for their contribution to the ecosystem.

3 Likes

now, that is really sad to hear. before settling with manjaro, i was on antergos - a fine distribution, liked it a lot.

1 Like

That's sad to see. Manjaro & Antergos had very close ties early on, e.g. Cinnarch. Antergos also had the distinction of being "closer to the bone" than many Arch derivatives including Manjaro (which really needs a better distinction at this point in its development).

I dislike seeing any Linux distribution come to an end. I'll toast their passing. :crying_cat_face:

7 Likes

Speaking of, I REALLY hope SwagArch survives despite being a one-man project.

2 Likes

Antergos had a good run. I think they chose an elegant and responsible way to end it, since the existing users can just keep using their systems. One of the advantages of using arch repos directly.

I hope the best for their team, Manjaro has also benefitted from their work in the past.

13 Likes

Yes, there are a lot of easy to install Arch derivatives, but none of them are like Manjaro :wink:
Of course, they can opt for Arch itself or even ArcoLinux and ArchLabs (both are excellent distributions). Maybe SwagArch, Parabola (libre variant) or Artix (a non-systemd variant).

1 Like

Artix is doing mate and KDE spins very soon i'm using the mate version at the moment. testing that is.
Also Arcolinux is very polished and several spins supported, plus really good documentation also Arch labs. But wait the old favorite Archbang is back and kicking lol.

1 Like