[Answered] Stablity of Manjaro vs Arch

Looks like Im distro hopping to have a little fun again. I have installed Manjaro KDE for a change from my usual choice of Mate/Gnome Debian based Linux distro’s.
I have tried Arch before but the install never seems to last more than 6 months before of update issues that become more of a headache as time goes on. While I would fix the problem, it seemed I was fixing problems more than using programs. Disaster would then strike just when I needed the computer the most.
So how stable is the stable Manjaro install?

Manjaro unstable = Arch stable.
Manjaro Testing = even more stable
Manjaro Stable = …
(fill in the dots)

5 Likes

Just read update threads and wait couple days for opinions and you will be OK.

this is not entirely true, because manjaro unstable contains also manjaro software. this can break (e.g. is not compatible to the latest version from arch linux).

manjaro stable should be more stable than arch linux, because manjaro basically uses all arch linux users as beta testers. when a package for them breaks, the update to manjaro stable is halted until a fixed version of that package has been released.

but please also keep in mind that things can go wrong in manjaro stable. there are packages, which can break your system and nobody from the testing and unstable branch uses them (or does not report it as broken). a bug in such a package can easily break manjaro stable.
for a most stable system, use the most popular mainstream manjaro version (i.e. manjaro xfce) and change as little as possible in it.
following @Chris25’s advice on top of that should make manjaro even more stable.

but in the end, manjaro is made by passionate people, who all have non-manjaro related jobs. a bug can always happen.

5 Likes

I would call the Arch users alpha testers since they test it before the software is taken by Manjaro and added to unstable. Unstable and testing users could be called beta-testers until things are so stable it reaches Manjaro-stable.
You are right when you say bugs can slip through the net all the way down to Stable, if nobody reports a bug. This means more people have to use Unstable and Testing and report whatever they find.

3 Likes

Absolutely the best way to approach updates!
Manjaro can have problems with an update occaisionally (there was one a month or so ago that many people had trouble with), but in general there are much less issues than arch updates.
As Chris25 said, I wait a few days and read the update’s thread to see if people are seeing any issues with the update. If there are issues, often the devs will fix the issue quickly, so that by the time you’ve waited a couple days, the problem is gone and you will have no problems.
The communication from the developers, and the communication from users on this forum are big plus for manjaro, IMO.

1 Like

I use arch testing My last install was in 2012 the one before was 2005 so you should think why did you break Arch. I’m just a simple user no wiss kid don’t know coding, just do things the Arch way, The same goes for Manjaro I used Manjaro testing from the alpha stage converted it to Manjaro Openrc testing, when Manjaro dropped openrc converted it to Artix Openrc testing, Arch is very stable just needs to visit the front page to see if user intervention is req and the same applies to Manjaro you need to read the update announcements, everything is relative to the user using common sense, their eyes and a very very small part of the brain

3 Likes

hi, i use ubuntu mate and debian distros. manjaro more headache or better to use… i downloaded xfce n want to try it… ty

Manjaro Is as stable if not more so than the myth Ubuntu/Debian, but that is my opinion

I’m finding this to be true.

As you don’t tell explicitely what issues you had with Arch there is no guarantee that you wouldn’t have got them with Manjaro.

2 Likes

when i got time n resources i will istall n give it a try. linux all used to be headache… my linux mint days ws the worst… why do i need to go to asshampoo win to burn a dvd? at ubuntu family lots of fails… at debian no fails… anyway, when i got time i will try manjaro… ty.

:slightly_smiling_face: @mateusrm, I hereby invite you to try Manjaro Linux; there is a high probability of you loving it and you have the friendly people in the Manjaro Linux forum to help you out with any technical issues.

Arch Stable = Stable
Manjaro Stable = Stable

Anything else? :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I did go with the KDE stable install, and dont expect to have to many problems. While this is in the new user section, and technically I am a new user to Manjaro, I am far from a Linux newbie. An occasional problem, I dont worry so much about, and will likely be able to fix/work around it. As long as it boots. Even then this is one of 3 distros on the computer and a reboot will let me access the files on any of them by booting into another distro.
I will just stick with the stable version, and stay far away from the AUR.

1 Like

You always make it sound so simple.
Can’t argue, can’t agree with you cause I have never used Arch.
Guess you’re probably right.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan AUR is fine for most things But yes there is a but never install blind all ways read the AUR page for the program 1st, and never replace a core component with a AUR one down the road it will cause problems

1 Like

Everything is stable until it breaks…

There is no simple answer to your question…

2 Likes

Then why are you worried about stability? :smiley:

regards

2 Likes

Well, I tend to use one install over the others, and stick with it. The other installs are starting to get real old. Mint 18.1 and an even older Debian. So while they work, I am looking for something new. I mainly keep 2 old installs as insurance, and with 8tb of space and multiple partitions its easy to do. The one that Manjaro now occupies was once home to a failed Arch install (ancient) that I could never get running right.
Plus the time invested, I tend to customize a desktop to get it perfect for me. With moving to a new distro and desktop, thats going to take a long time to do. But with a rolling release, once its done, I wont need to do it for some time. In the end, it was just a question to make sure it was just worth investing that time.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by