Annoying behavior of Dolphin on Gnome

I’ve run Manjaro Gnome on this PC for like 5 years and I’ve been using Dolphin file manager for probably 3 years. Recently it’s been getting weird. It generally has to do with context menus/right click. If I drag and drop a file to another folder it responds randomly like the copy/move menu might not pop up until I do it like 5 times. Same thing with right click, menu will randomly respond. I’ve only really seen this happen in dolphin.

Not sure why this started happening but if I recall there’s some package that assists in interfacing Gnome and QT, someone suggested I remove this years ago for some other minor issue but I didn’t because it sounds like a bad idea. maybe it was qgnomeplatform-qt#?

Nobody else knows what you have installed.
There are multiple packages and configurtions that might generally fit in your description.
qt5ct for managing qt theming, for example.

In general … its a bit odd to want to use a different fiemanager from your DE, odder that its an entirely different toolkit from the rest of the desktop, and worse still to try and disrupt Gnome of all desktops while doing the previously stated.

Sure, in theory you can use whatever you want … but gnome has been known to take affront to GTK theming … so trying to integrate a QT file manager … well, I’m surprised it was ever a satisfactory experience.

You can try and find/print whatever additional packages or configurations you think are related … of course once you do that … you will be in a position to see if removing them makes any difference.

Please edit your topic title to be more clear and concise about the issue you’re having.

Please see:

Programs like QGnomePlatform and Qt5Ct are only designed for adapting Qt applications to use the system theme on Gtk desktops. They do not affect functionality in any shape or form.

Not a terribly helpful reply

I use Gnome on this desktop because when I built it about 5 years ago KDE was not stable with 3 monitors, while Gnome was and has had far less odd issues. I do use KDE on most of my systems so I prefer Dolphin. I doubt it’s really that rare to do so.

I’m not sure it’s practical or useful to post every package I have installed on this system. I post this in hopes that someone is aware of an existing issue.

Its not terribly helpful to loosely refer to ‘it could be some package I have installed’ … without listing those things.

In this case even if I just assume your assumptions and text here are very close to correct … I still am left wondering which of the following you have installed:

6 aur/qgnomeplatform-solarized-qt6 0.9.0-10 [+0 ~0.00]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt6 application inclusion in GNOME (solarized)
5 aur/qgnomeplatform-solarized-qt5 0.9.0-10 [+0 ~0.00]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt5 application inclusion in GNOME (solarized)
4 aur/qgnomeplatform-qt6-git 0.7.0.r78.g6505fb8-1 [+29 ~0.02]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt6 application inclusion in GNOME
3 aur/qgnomeplatform-qt5-git 0.7.0.r78.g6505fb8-1 [+29 ~0.02]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt5 application inclusion in GNOME
2 extra/qgnomeplatform-qt6 0.9.1-7 [132.27KiB 465.34KiB]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt6 application inclusion in GNOME
1 extra/qgnomeplatform-qt5 0.9.1-7 [154.56KiB 522.30KiB]
    QPlatformTheme for a better Qt5 application inclusion in GNOME

Its not terribly silly to think while I am going to ask you for such clarification that…
“hmm … since they think it is a problem caused by package X … and I am trying to get them to tell me exactly what X is … well … they already have the answer of the thing they should check - package X”

Ok :slight_smile: