AMDGPU improvements for Manjaro OUTDATED

@Tids after the last update to mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe 20170617-1
radeon+ no longer seems in manjaro-settings-manager although I use it without a problem in my system (is my current driver).

[details=mhwd -l ]```ruby

0000:01:00.0 (0300:1002:6611) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-catalyst            2017.03.12               false            PCI
         video-ati            2017.03.24                true            PCI

video-amdgpu-experimental 2017.06.17 true PCI
video-vesa 2017.03.12 true PCI

[details=mhwd -li -d]```ruby
   NAME:	video-radeon+
   ATTACHED:	PCI
   VERSION:	2016.12.15
   INFO:	Standard open source driver for AMD graphic cards.
   PRIORITY:	2
   FREEDRIVER:	true
   DEPENDS:	-
   CONFLICTS:	video-amdgpu video-ati video-catalyst video-vesa video-amdgpu+ video-amdgpu-experimental+ 
   CLASSIDS:	0300 0380 
   VEN[/details]DORIDS:	1002 

radeon+ is not there anymore because it was merged to video-ati (the same with video-intel and amdgpu).

sudo mhwd -r pci $(mhwd -li | grep "video-" | awk '{print $1}')

to remove radeon+ so you can install video-ati

So it seems you can not boot linux4.11 :frowning: (you’re not alone with this)

@Tids
Hi tids, the problem is only with the amd staging kernel. Install the kernel of manjaro 4.11 and I do not have boot problems, it starts without problems, I do not know what the problem is that amdgpu does not start with amd staging, anyway, thanks for the help, I will continue trying to have a solution. Thank you.

The recent update of amdgpu-experimental 20170617-1 worked fine! Thanks and kudos!

inxi -Gxxxz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini [Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0 chip-ID: 1002:9836
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 3.10.0 / 4.11.5-2-ck, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 4.5 Mesa 17.1.2 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Rendering: Yes

Well, it’s an unstable Kernel build. Thats maybe the reason :confused:
Hopefully they will update to 4.12 series and you have a new chance to make it work. :confounded:

The latest update to mhwd-amdgpu seems to have gone fine, but mhwd -li complains that
Warning: config ‘/var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu-experimental+/MHWDCONFIG’ is invalid!

Also for this:

sudo mhwd -r pci $(mhwd -li | grep "video-" | awk '{print $1}')

uninstall the old one and install the newer one.

$ sudo mhwd -r pci $(mhwd -li | grep "video-" | awk '{print $1}') Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu+/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid! Error: config 'warning:' is not installed! $

It does not work

Same for:

$ sudo mhwd -r pci video-amdgpu+ Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu+/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid! Error: config 'video-amdgpu+' is not installed! $

@Tids
Hello tids, in the last update I had problems with the boot of the desktop. After the SDDM load I get error “could not sync environment to dbus”, solve it by installing dbus-x11 and uninstalling dbus, but now everything works, but the start is a little slower than before, the monitor remains as For 7-10 seconds off, then turns on, and just there the desktop load starts. How can this be? Thank you

I really have no idea why it is listed as installed, when it is not. :thinking:

If nothing’s works you have to downgrade mhwd-addon* and re-install video-amdgpu+ and then remove it again + upgrade mhwd-addon.

I’m right now without internet for a few days-weeks, thanks to storm damage in my village :unamused:. So I can’t help much, sorry for this :cry:

well, it is still installed but the current mhwd config does not contain the “+” configs any longer so it can’t remove them.

downgrade does not offer anything for mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe

It should be possible. When installing something in mhwd, it copies the installscript to another directory,

(from /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/video-amdgpu+/MHWDCONFIG
to /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu+/MHWDCONFIG) so you can even uninstall things when the script itself was removed.

Now your situation is a bit weird, because it shows up as installed, but it can’t find the file to uninstall it.

please

cat /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu+/MHWDCONFIG

and look at the post_remove. If there is nothing special in it, you can just remove the script.

rm -r '/var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-amdgpu+'

post_remove() { fn_pacman_remove mhwd-gpu --check }

after removing the script, everything is working now.

With the latest changes in Manjaro we have reached all the goals of the “AMDGPU improvements for Manjaro”

Now

we have

• VAAPI & VDPAU active by default
  • Vulkan (RadV) enabled on supported hardware by default
  • a correct list of supported Hardware
  • working prime setups

we still lack of

• OpenCL support (because clover is broken for real-world-apps and ROCm does not work on manjaro yet)
  • amdgpu-experimental support in standard manjaro. For this, i Think we better dont change this :slight_smile:

In Future

See AMD hardware support in Manjaro

Thanks to all the helpers, users of this work and the manjaro team :slight_smile:

AMD hardware support in Manjaro
AMD GPU problems
unpinned #862

Running Netrunner, based on manjaro here. Was very surprised when I was able to select catalyst as the driver after install. However GPU mining still isnt working, and I can’t change to video-ati to test if thats faster as my xorg wont load. I had to change to second terminal to change back to catalyst to boot.

linux413rc3 doesn’t work with amdgpu on my machine

can anybody confirm that it is not only on my machine?

Cool, somebody with still some love for catalyst.
Which gpu are you using?

As per x.org not working… It’s because after catalyst uninstallation you have none at all, and you have to use pacman to install latest.
EDIT: I just compared manjaro opencl-catalyst and aur’s… Could you check whether opencl-icd-loader is installed?

sorry, but the standard amdgpu works fine with kernel 413rc3 on my machine.