AMDGPU improvements for Manjaro OUTDATED

Thats great! :slight_smile:

But for Manjaro I see a big problem comming: glvnd support in mesa and xorg …

me too now all i need is a game that uses OPENGL 4.5 kappa

i’m still waiting for games that use vulkan :disappointed:

we got a whole list of games what are you talking about also does tech demos and benchmark count as “games”

All the games i play still use opengl and judging by this list in the grand scheme of things there arn’t many games that use vulkan and even less for linux

@Daedalus ark has a linux only vulkan support therefore windows and linux have the same amount of vulkan games and if count DOOM via WINE LINUX TECHNICALLY HAS MOre

Vulkan is only a year old. Games take usually around 2-3years in development. So consider that for full vulkan support, only games that startet the development process in Q4 2016 are in the position to have a vulkan renderer by default.

Vulkan is not something you can just “add” to games (i mean you can, but then it will be as slow or slower then openGL). So we have to wair another year to see more “real” Vulkan games.

My point isn’t who had more games my point was that the list isn’t just for linux and even if all the the list was linux games it still would be a small amount in my opinion.

I know it takes a while i just can’t wait for it as it includes some bits of mantle which i hope helps out amd with games on the linux platform. As of right now i’m still on nvidia and keeping an eye on how amd is doing.

well dota 2 has vulkan support and it is faster than OGL or DX9/10/11 that is because valve was co developing vulkan (with the rest or the kronos group) and therefore had the opportunity to developt it early

also why does doom have ~+50% performance gains in vulkan

I’d say they developed for AMD Mantle in the first place. So a switch to vulkan wasnt a huge step. Also they made many good decisions for the renderers. they also support treaded OpenGL (thats not supported by mesa). So the “base” of the codepath was ready for vulkan(and DX12) all the time.

fun fact:

WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20170119012220)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)
spirv/spirv_to_nir.c:2645 WARNING: Unsupported SPIR-V capability: StorageImageWriteWithoutFormat
spirv/spirv_to_nir.c:547 WARNING: Decoration not allowed on struct members: Restrict
spirv/spirv_to_nir.c:547 WARNING: Decoration not allowed on struct members: Restrict
HitmanPro: dumped to "/home/fabi/.local/share/feral-interactive/HITMAN/crashes/1e89b905-42e4-a9f7-2520d65b-2af49f7d.dmp"
HitmanPro: crash reporter "/home/share/Steam_Fabian/steamapps/common/Hitman™/bin/feral_linux_crash_reporter" launching
Game crashed, if possible email [support@feralinteractive.com] with the crash file [/home/fabi/.local/share/feral-interactive/HITMAN/crashes/1e89b905-42e4-a9f7-2520d65b-2af49f7d.dmp] and details
Game removed: AppID 236870 "HITMAN™", ProcID 3474

the new HITMAN on linux has a non working Vulkan mode :stuck_out_tongue:

@Tids I’m using kernel 4.10-rc8 (the next Sunday will be stable) and I’m still getting horizontal lines on my desktop screen with amdgpu-experimental which I described here.

I have a " Southern Islands" card and I would like to try amdgpu-experimental with 4.10 kernel because of this.

Any thoughts?

No i dont know. :frowning: It still looks like a Wallpaper to me. So maybe there is just a conflict/bug between amdgpu-experimental and how gnome renders the wallpaper. Have you tried another desktop or does this bug appears in another App?

No it doesn’t appears in another app and I tried another wallpapers. :confused:

Maybe report this to gnome. I dont think they will fix this, but they might give you a few tipps how to handle this… :frowning:

BTW with mesa 17.x my openGL is a slideshow. 2-5fps on TombRaider (Mesa13: around 40-60). :confused:

Does amdgpu-experimental include DAL?

No. It just disables radeon and enables amdgpu for GCN1.0 and 1.1 Generations.

I see! Are there pre-compiled AMDGPU packages with DAL support? If not, will there be a chance to see them any time soon, since upstream is fooling around regarding this case? >.<

There can not be. DC is not some kind of Software, but a feature of a kernel module. You need to grab the AMD staging Kernels. @BS86 can help you with this :slight_smile:

yep :wink:

You can use the amd-staging kernel which is available in here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/unofficial_user_repositories#mesa-git

simply ad

[mesa-git] SigLevel = PackageOptional Server = https://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch

to your /etc/pacman.conf and do a sudo pacman -Syyu
After that you need to do sudo pacman -S linux-amd-staging linux-amd-staging-headers
After that, for failsafe purposes, do a sudo update-grub and reboot, in grub, chose the amd staging kernel

[quote=“Tids, post:705, topic:7890, full:true”]But for Manjaro I see a big problem comming: glvnd support in mesa and xorg …[/quote]We already are kind of ahead in both fields, whatever I guess you meant.

Mhwd always had its kind-of “dispatch library”, and I’m not sure which nuisance with x.org couldn’t be overcome with at worst the current switching mechanism.