AMDGPU improvements for Manjaro OUTDATED

It’s just a psychological effect that we need mhwd. I’ve converted so many users from a half working Intel setup, to a fully working intel-amd-PRIME setup. But the reaction was always the same. They dont feel good that they have to leave everything unset in mhwd (otherwise PRIME dont works) and always want some setting enabled via mhwd. Thats also the only reason why there is a video-radeon+, video-amdgpu+ and (for some next release) video-intel+. We dont need it, since we can do everything via pacman, but users want to have a good feeling.

wouldn’t it be possible to create a mhwd - script that creates the necessary config for Prime? (I understood in the other thread that only the PCI and driver is allowed in the xorg.conf.d config and nothing more which for my understanding should be possible in a script)

one should not forget that mhwd also installs network drivers especially for WiFi and theoretically, it could configure every device just like the device manager in windows. (just click on “Show all devices” at the bottom)

The thing is, for PRIME its the best way to not have any config around. sure it would be possible to provide a mhwd script that deletes every config file that other mhwd scripts build but that feels so unclean.

I think with 17.x the mhwd will get a little cleanup and i really hope my scripts will be some kind of inspiration for the free driver part.

I dont know about bumblebee or if/how Nvidia works on a hybrid graphics system. If feels much to often that Nvidia is the new hold-back-company for linux.

yes, I also have that feeling. Seems like he is still right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

yes, for the one knowing what is behind all this, it is. But for the standard-user that does not even read the forums, it would be more convenient. (or in other words: noob-friendly)
In my opinion, if we want to see the year of the linux-desktop, such stuff should be GUI-solved, especially when the default is another config.

That should work out of the box and it does without nvidia.

It may sound hard/rude, but i think Manjaro should drop the opensour nvidia driver nouveau(?) completely and just preinstall the best driver combination for the hardware by itself.

for nvidia only -> nvidia blob
for hybrid intel-nvidia -> this bumblebee (or whatever it it now) setup
for everything else -> free drivers, without config.

Right now we have so many possibilities that its really hard to tell why for some users xorg crashes, why wayland dont loads up or in some cases why linux dont boots at all.

I will reboot after the WM handball match… better safe than sorry! :wink:

Done!

How can i test if amdgpu is running?

Not on the computer right now. But you can look at

lspci 

If amdgpu is loaded for your graphicscard

or check the output of inxi -G

Chazy17d
It’s not tearing what i have (not in firefox nor vlc), i have artifacts problems in videos but only if I use the progress bar to go to a specific time of the video: the image freezes (not the audio though) and then the artifacts starts, for 3-5 seconds until it normalizes, everything normal until I use the progress bar again… Sometimes it’s just 1-2 seconds. It happens with all the videos I played with free drivers, but not with fglrx (when I had the r9 290).

What you experience is normal. When you place the slider at a certain position and want the video to continue from that spot, chances are big you have chosen a frame which is not complete.
To reduce the video file size they invented i-frames and others. I-frames are complete frames which show the whole picture. The others are only the increments from that last i-frame. So when you start the video playback from an other frame you only see a part of the frame. You now have to wait till an i-frame appears until you see the whole picture again. I have that too and it is normal, nothing to worry about.

lspci -nnk | grep "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A2

is the command is was looking for :smiley:

Not at all. inxi dont checks the kernel module, but the xorg-graphics driver. This one could also be modesettings and for some reason its also possible to use the radeon xorg on top of amdgpu (it’ll maybe crash at some point, but it starts…).

Thats why its better so check the actual hardware kernel driver (and when it comes to wayland, its the only possibility)

@DeMus Yeah, and there’s a workaround. In vlc preferences -> Video -> Output -> OpenGL GLX video output (XCB), selecting that it fixes it and now it is possible to go to another frame instantly (no artifacts, no problems).

Is there a way to tell what vlc is using by default? Would be nice to eport this to the devs.

I don’t know, it only says “Automatic” (first option).

Thanks, that is it!

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X/360]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting) Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BONAIRE (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.2-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.9.1)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3

@Tids:

Good job!

$ lspci -nnk | grep "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A2
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X/360] [1002:6658]
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:045a]
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

Also i’m very impressed - much better working than i have the old video-ati in mind.
VirtualBox works good, did not test my games but it looks all good and smooth.
Video via Internet (Tele5) works also smooth. Maybe it needs a second more than before to get the full resolution after an ad break…

BTW: Much shorter and IMHO my intuitive:

$ lspci -nv | grep -i 'amd'
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
	Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

i get this error when i try to reinstall/install amdgpu-experimental+

[code]> Installing video-amdgpu-experimental+…
Using default
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/video-amdgpu-experimental+/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0380
:: Synchronizing package databases…
warning: downgrading package xorg-server (1.19.1-1 => 1.18.4-1)
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: xorg-server and xf86-input-keyboard are in conflict. Remove xf86-input-keyboard? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)

:: xorg-server and xf86-input-keyboard are in conflict (xorg-server<1.19)
mhwd failed
Error: script failed!

Klar …
[/code]

Hard to tell whats going on and why it downgrades to the old xserver. the error is not part of the mhwd script but your packaging system…

hm one thing that i just notice right now. when we enable PRIME support by default, we also disable the ability to connect 2 (or more) displays to different graphicscards :disappointed_relieved:

As you can see on my output i’m also on xorg-server 1.18.4. (affirmative)

I took a look at pamac and the package has version 1.19.1…

strange. I’m also on unstable (via pacman -Syu) and xserver 1.19.1. i can uninstall + install video-amdgpu-experimental+ without it is trying to downgrade the xserver.

what happens when you do

sudo pacman -Syyuu

? will it upgrade your xorg-server?

$ sudo pacman -Syyuu
[sudo] Passwort für laza: 
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
 core                                                                                                                                                                                            142,4 KiB  1583K/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                                                                                                          1895,1 KiB  5,51M/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                                                                                                         4,1 MiB  5,56M/s 00:01 [##########################################################################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                                                                                                        195,2 KiB  5,61M/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################################################] 100%
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung...
 Es gibt nichts zu tun

BTW: I’m on Testing!