AMDGPU improvements for Manjaro OUTDATED

Thats hard to say. Both drivers vont give you 100%. While catalyst supports openCL and some video encoding functionalities, it dont support vdpau and i dont know any software that supports the catalyst de/encoding.

The free drivers do support vdpau for important video-formats but this one dont support openCL.

Without gaming in Mind i would use the opensource radeon drivers, simply because its more save when it comes to kernel/xorg updates. (But if you want to try this, please ask first, because its a little hard to uninstall catalyst on manjaro :joy:)

Yes, the old fglrx, aka catalyst driver.

They do and they try hard to get more stuff to the open drivers, wich is a little hard because opensource people only accept “the best of the best of the best, sir” :wink:

hehe :sunglasses::

[bs86@BS86-PC ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: amdgpu Resolution: 2560x1440@143.86hz, 1280x1024@75.02hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD FIJI (DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.9.1)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.3

4.10 is already running great here and performance is ok-ish on my new screen, but now every performance-optimization comes in even more handy :wink:

Can’t wait for Mesa 17 to be released

The Kaveri processor uses R7 series. And as Tids told me what is available for it is the legacy catalyst software. :neutral_face:
BS86 is using R9 FURY and seem to be using a new amdgpu driver. :open_mouth:
Does that mean that the Kaveri I bought about one year ago is a legacy hardware for AMD and they won’t implement newer support for it? :unamused:
Are their new amdgpu series only for the newest of the newer of the new products? :disappointed:

they are working on amdgpu-support for all GCN graphic chips. 1st and 2nd Gen cards are already having experimental support with Kernel 4.9 while 3rd and 4th Gen are fully supported.
Kaveri has a GCN 2nd Gen chip, therefore it will receive support on amdgpu soon.

Due to the effort of Tids, you can already try the experimental amdgpu driver and it should run great. Just ask for instructions.

Yes, but “New” means all the GCN architecture. Kaveri is GCN 1.0,

1.1 and 1.0 are in experimental support (wich means that they are not 100% stable and might crash or have some glitches but you can use it of course in manjaro ^^

Graphics:  Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KAVERI (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.0-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.9.1)

I’m doing PRIME with my Kaveri APU and Tonga GPU, both on amdgpu :sweat_smile:

I guess you are wrong there. Kaveri is Sea Island which means 1.1 or 2nd Gen (source)
Cape Verde, Pitcairn, Tahiti are 1.0 or 1st Gen

true … man that talk about Oland chips made me think that everything now is 1.0 :sweat:

Well, after your comments it seems that kaveri works fine with amdgpu but amd doesn’t give full garantee.
Then it’s probably more secure to stay with the open source driver. Right?

Both are the open source driver. amdgpu defines 2 things: The linux Kernelmodule, that is needed for powermanagement and other “bare metal” things and the XOrg Display Driver that displays stuff when you are using Xorg-server.

Radeon (that is the open source driver that you mean) has the same stuff, but for older hardware.

for OpenGL both are using a thing called “RadeonSI”

There is also something that is called amdgpu-Pro. That is the exact amdgpu kernel modul (with some additions, but sadly optimized for Linux 4.7 only) and exactly the same amdgpu xorg display driver, but for openGL its not RadeonSI, but the old fglrx-OpenGL parts.

In a comment section on Phoronix, an AMD employee was saying that they are currently rebasing on Kernel 4.9 :wink:

I still hope it’ll make it into mainline this year … :frowning: sitting on an old Kernel for a feature is bad

thats the comment

Edit: @Tids And an even more promising comment by the same guy:

I so hope this will work :sunny: OSS mostly isnt about getting support fast …

edit: fixed xD

wtf is that?

a typo that should be “mostly” - ö and l are next to each other on German keyboards.

The time has come! Xorg 1.19 is in Manjaro unstable!

Could you explain that “almost”? I too share your excitement :smiley:

So if this really means rip mhwd for free drivers, it should now be optional since the default driver are the free ones (and I read somewhere that non-free drivers won’t be included in new install medias? Maybe I misread it but it’s something about that), so no need to ship manjaro with mhwd anymore?

[quote=“Chazy, post:660, topic:7890, full:true”]So if this really means rip mhwd for free drivers, it should now be optional since the default driver are the free ones (and I read somewhere that non-free drivers won’t be included in new install medias?[/quote]Even if closed drivers aren’t shipped by default, and they will be optional… It’s not like you can even ditch the “switch” to make the choice in the first place.

Yes, that’s true, but also part the functionality of mhwd is no longer needed, right? I mean it needs to be simplified, to be adapted to the new way xorg has of handling things now.

As promised - heyho, let’s go!

What I did:

• uninstalled all fglrx packages
  • (extra) installed free driver
  • switched mhwd-gpu to mesagl
  • searched in /etc/modules for residues…
  • rebooted
  • blacklisted radeon as described here
  • installed xf86-amdgpu and mesa-vdpau and lib32-mesa-vdpau

I hope this was (all) right to do beforehand…
If not please help me out.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X/360]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting) Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BONAIRE (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.2-1-MANJARO, LLVM 3.9.1)

Asus R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC

$ mhwd
> 0000:02:00.0 (0300:1002:6658) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        video-catalyst            2016.09.03               false            PCI
             video-ati            2016.08.22                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2012.09.18                true            PCI

or just

sudo mhwd -r pci video-catalyst
sudo pacman -S "xorg-server>=1.18" xf86-input-libinput xf86-video-amdgpu amdgpu-experimental

Thats now just easy to switch to amdgpu experimental without mhwd, thanks to our “amdgpu-experimental” package in manjaro that blacklists, loads and sets everythings by itself. :slight_smile:

I can't work out how to install AMDGPU
Enabling experimental AMDGPU support for GCN 1.1