AMDGPU Fan Does not Spin at all

Hello everyone,
I got a new GPU (VEGA 64) and my gpu-fan is just not moving at all.
I am using Dual-Boot with WIN10, there the fan is spinning.
For now i just want it to be set in automatic, i do not care about customized profiles and stuff like that.
I am not experienced with Linux and tried to fix the Problem myself with radeon-profile
https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile But i f****d it up somehow.
—My external Hard Drive crashed yesterday and i did not sleep because i restored with ddrescue and i was tired and frustrated in general—
So i tried to install it using an AUR and i installed it via git. I have not much knowledge about systemd, git and AUR so i messed around and try to fix it and remove it before i could reinstall it but now i am stuck and do not know what t do next.

I do not know what information would be helpful, this is my very first Post on a Linux Forum.

All i want is that the fan speed is handled automatically

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out, because right now i do not want to use manjaro, i do not want to damage my new GPU

Sorry for any potential grammar mistakes English is not my first language, thanks in advance.

0 Likes

which Vega 64 did you get? Almost all use zerofan, which means that FANs are off in idle and that is intended.

My Asus ROG Strix Vega64 even keeps the FANs off in games with low GPU demand and only turns them on on high load / high temperature (on Windows and Linux same behaviour)

That your FAN’s are always on in Windows sounds more like the trouble - unless you modified the FAN curve there.

don’t use such crap. It destroys way more than it helps.

1 Like

It is what happen with my RX470 nitro + from sapphire. When i am in windows with Radeon software installed the fans is not starting until temperature go över 50 grades And it is ok. In linux fan is always working for keep a temperature around 30 grades with a fanspeed of 700 rpm aprox and it grow up while playing for to take care about overheat and works ok.

You should try the card under load, play a game and check if fan start when temperature is growing. If you didn’t overclock your GPU (change voltage) what doesn’t not sense with a your Vega 64 you Graphic card will be perfectly with 0 problem.

0 Likes

my old MSI RX480 also did not use ZeroFAN on Linux. Only Vega changed that.

0 Likes

Damn i miss the ZeroFan with my card in linux

[jorge@jorge-pc ~]$ sensors
amdgpu-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:       +0.75 V  
fan1:         700 RPM
temp1:        +33.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1:        7.16 W  (cap = 130.00 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +14.8°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +80.0°C, hyst = +77.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:      125.19 W  (crit = 125.19 W)

0 Likes

Your proof? Hasn’t destroyed anything on my machine.

0 Likes

… I use https://github.com/grmat/amdgpu-fancontrol
[my fans are silent right now … but will kick in if needed]

0 Likes

Edit: sadly not the solution.
So i set lm-senors up and only choose the suggested option. The sensors command is showing me some RPM for my GPU, but the fan is still not spinning. I can also observe how the temp is just rising and rising. I might check to get the temperature to some point where the fan should spin. But the fact that the sytsem is telling me that the fan spinns but it is not soinning is telling me something is wrong.

It is an MSI, this one:

I am kinda relived right now because i even played some CSGO and did not realized the Fan is not active. I was worried i already damaged my GPU.

0 Likes

That’s also true for my Asus Vega64.
Somehow, the RPM are frozen at about 1500rpm and the FAN is off. That is a common sensor problem, as it is also present in Windows. The only tool that reads the correct RPMs is an proprietary Windows Tool by Asus ( I have not checked other manufacturers tools).

In most games, FAN’s start spinning at 78-80°C and the reported RPMs change only then. It cools down the card to 70-75°C and stops spinning again. Only in very heavy games, FAN starts spinning earlier here and stay on for the whole game time.

1 Like

Open one window console and tip command watch sensors you will see temperature and rpm every 2 seconds. Run a game and others things open the box your pc y check if fans begin spinning and what temperature happen it if they do start. And see range of temperature zerofan for you card. So du can know what is going on

0 Likes

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes