AMD hardware support in Manjaro

amd
amdgpu
manjaro
graphics
radeon

@Tids I ask to be sure, mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe was replaced by mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental?
If so, is there any reason to be mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe in the repositories?

Ohh. No there is not. :sweat_smile: That’s a mistake @philm could you remove that one?

In which branch? This is unstable

phil@manjaro ~/dev/boxit-work/unstable/community/x86_64 $ ls mhwd*
mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe-20170617-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
mhwd-chroot-1.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental-20171017-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
mhwd-tui-0.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
phil@manjaro ~/dev/boxit-work/unstable/community/x86_64 $ ls *amdgpu*
amdgpu-experimental-20171017-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental-20171017-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

I see both in unstable:

╰─ pacman -Ss mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental 
community/mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental 20171017-1 [εγκατεστημένο]
    Enables experimental AMDGPU support for Sea Islands(GCN1.1) and Southern Islands(GCN
    1.0)
╰─ pacman -Ss mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe
community/mhwd-addon-amdgfx-hwe 20170617-1
    Enables experimental AMDGPU support for Sea Islands(GCN1.1) and Southern Islands(GCN
    1.0)

Also, for somebody to review before conflicts arise

Is the one that can be removed, it was replaced by

[Testing Update] 2017-11-22 - Kernels, Deepin, ICU-Rebuild, removal of plymouth

and AMD Display code is in for 4.15 - Linus merged it

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-DC-Accepted

Though users of pre-vega GCN hardware need to add the amdgpu.dc=1 parameter to use it

We should run a some tests early next year and if it works stable (without crashes!), just set this option as part of the video-amdgpu+ video-amdgpu-experimental packages. Because, why not :joy:

will definitely use it on my RX480 once 4.15 is in unstable. Lets see how it works out.
The amd-staging kernel works without issues though, so I suppose the overall DC should work fine, too.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Issue with multimonitor setup

A post was merged into an existing topic: Issue with multimonitor setup

Well … 4.15 is in unstable and seems like Manjaro activated DC already :wink:
At least my screen is telling me that Freesync is on, yet non-operational without me adding the parameter anywhere, and I am still on my RX480

Edit: Seems like only parts are active without explicitly activating DC. After activating DC, sound is now also working through DP!

Freesync still needs to be fixed in driver-side, but screen now detects it (like on the staging kernels)

For all who also want to test it: You need to add amdgpu.dc=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in grub

[Testing Update] 2017-11-23 - Kernel v4.15, PHP, Deepin, ALSA
Manjaro distros don't boot on AMD AM4 9600 Carrizo R7 APU

Thanks (: working on it to get

to video-amdgpu / +experimental over the weekend. should be a small change

@BS86 could you try if THIS experimental pkg of amdgpu-experimental also enables dc for you? I’m not entirely sure if it does (and how to test :smiley:)

well, removed the line from grub, updated grub, installed your package and rebooted.

DP Audio is still working, so I guess it works :wink:

Nice. Thanks :smiley:

aaaaand the official AMD Vulkan driver will finally be open-sourced:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-open-vulkan&num=1

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-mix-match&num=1
And their new AMDGPU-PRO driver ‘architecture’ looks really spicy.

That whole situation reminds me to the radeon vs radeonHD xorg drivers many years ago. And here is where AMD could lose the community.

BTW - before someone asks. I have NO plans to make adrenalin the default Vulkan driver for AMDGPU in manjaro. Because, well… we have Valve and a community behind RadV - So for now, lets see how it works out.

BUT WITH THIS DONE … they will hopefully move on to ROCm, make things work with a upstream LLVM version and give us something good.

^ And yep, I’m a bit pissed off by that “ohh its mostly open source, but it runs only on Ubuntu”, “you need a special LLVM version for this, and another special LLVM version for that” … Thats exacatly the reason why DC took so damn long. AMD - upstream it already!

add benchmark from phoronix
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1750-open&num=1