AMD hardware support in Manjaro

Good to know thanks @BS86
It is desktop grade hardware, even has an actual AM4 socket

@jonathon
I’m currently running an Acer Aspire Nitro V with a 6700HQ, GTX 960m, and 16GB of ram. So it’s a step up. I’m not to worried about adding another ram stick to the Asus. Just to add in a second ram stick in my Acer it had to be dismantled completely to add in the SSD then you have to flip the entire motherboard over to add in more ram. Then reassemble the entire machine back.

I would go the desktop route but I already have one that sits under my desk where I keep my laptop at. Plus I’m out and about a lot so being able to take a high caliber laptop around is a plus for me.

Tee hee hee. Just wait. :wink:

You either have to loosen off or remove the entire heatsink assembly (which covers half the mainboard and is glued in place over the GPU and CPU) or you have to bend the mainboard slightly so you can force the RAM into place.

I swore quite a lot.

Then I swore more when I had to remove it for the RMA.

Then it wasn’t so bad putting it back in the second time… :man_shrugging:

I seen a few videos on it doesn’t seem to bad. Since I was planning on removing the heat sink off and and applying some liquid metal and thermal pads it would be an excellent time to do so. Since I’m planning on cramming in 32GB of ram anyways.

It’s either the Asus or an Acer with a second gen ryzen 7 with Vega 56 gfx, but I don’t game much outside of emulators anymore so I can’t justify the $1800 price tag for the acer.

I am currently looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad E485 with a Ryzen 7 2700U (with Vega 10 integrated graphics)
That could be more suitable if you don’t intend to game much. However, it only has 4 cores / 8 threads. If you really need the 8 cores /16 threads, you might have to go with the Acer.

My use case would be a reliable mobile computer for browsing, presentations, workshops and an occassional hour of WoW (my current i5 3380m Dell latitude does not work well anymore since Blizzard removed DX9). I game a lot but on my R7 2700X + Vega 64 desktop.

I may suck it up and go with the acer, I could always pick back up some of my older games and run them under wine heh I don’t run any new new games, everything I did play ran fine on my gtx 960m so the rx580 would run them a bit better.

And another great news:
Google Stadia will run on Linux with AMD GPU’s using Vulkan and Unity is already fully on the train. The GPU’s are said to have 10,7 TFlops and 16GB HBM2 each, so it is either a more powerful custom Vega56 or a Vega VII that is heavily optimized on efficiency (with lower clocks and power targets).

This means that now, in addition to Valve, Redhat and others, Google and Unity will also contribute to the AMD driver stack ^^

3 Likes

That would be the best case, but since this is google i think they will have an own fork for this own Linux branch of them mixed with the proprietary AMD vulkan stack.

It’s not like google has a fetish for forks… If your mind goes back to thinking about android, that just simply happen because ARM world is a clusterduck lagging a decade (if not more) behind x86 standardization.

google has a history of contributing to the mainline kernel, at least in the last years. They are also a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation since middle of 2018: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/press-release/2018/06/google-becomes-platinum-member-of-linux-foundation-demonstrating-its-commitment-to-the-open-source-community/

Also, which “proprietary Vulkan stack” are you talking about? Is there another driver besides AMDVLK and Radv? Because AMDVLK is open source for quite some time now, and Radv always was.

And thats probably not a good thing … :sweat_smile: https://youtu.be/TVHcdgrqbHE?t=1002

3 Likes

He’ll mean that since it’s MIT (not much dissimilarly from android’s BSD), they’ll be able to keep closed the parts they want.
Which, I mean, after all is actually the reason they still don’t buy into radv imo.

But, fun fact, mesa is too. So gg for tinfoiling.

@anon35400795 lunduke went total bonkers with that talk

1 Like

Oh, so you mean insane, smarter-than-you and everyone else because I say so, must market myself with even more insanity, Lunduke? That one? No way. :laughing:

I used to watch Lunduke a lot, but he went from facts to very un-objective meanings way too much.
I don’t see it as a bad thing that Google joined the Linux foundation. And I also don’t care that much about what license a project is opensourced with, as long as it is any open source license.

Reporting that linux 5.0.3-1 kernel gave me system freezes after certain periods of time. Didn’t have the time yet to investigate, back at 4.19 and all good.

Not that there's anything wrong with standard normal open drivers of course.
But I'd just like to report how latest AMDGPU-PRO has been made compatible with Arch
(I'm not sure all packages could work out of the box here, without some mhwd tinkering, but still)

Well, we had the warnings for ages now within the compiled drivers. Still have to figure out why they switch to errors now. Also with 5.3 release to build extramodules will change. All in all it is getting harder to support proprietary drivers in general.

1 Like

I feel like you replied in the wrong thread, anyway please don't waste your time in these menial tasks.
Simply don't offer the modules for newer kernels and we are square. As I was saying, it will still be like almost 10 years before 4.4 goes out of support :slight_smile:
And in the meantime perhaps somebody else will have done the work for you.

my opinion: Don't offer the -pro driver. It has no performance gains over the free driver and is getting more and more obsolete. Reason: More and more stuff is opensourced and thus available with the free driver package anyway.

5 Likes

Pro would be a nice "meta-package" superset of both ROCm and opencl-amd though.
Also, I have never tried it, but IIRC it let you choose about what kind of opengl (and vulkan?) ICD you wanted to use.

Perhaps the re-enable wait in pipelock, but add timeout patch can be added for Navi users while it makes its way into the mainline? I tried to make the commit myself in https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/linux54/ but I don't seem to be able to unfortunately

Forum kindly sponsored by