AMD driver stopped working after recent update

After updating my system in the past day something went wrong with the open source drivers of amd, after a restart the system i tried to open OBS and Stream without success, is it related to the amd driver problem?

1 Like

Most likely related to this:

2 Likes

when i try to downgrade mesa in the terminal it just reinstall the same mesa driver. do i need to say the specific version i want to downgrade to?

You don’t have to downgrade. Actually you need to force upgrade, ignoring local version numering and force online repo one. So:

sudo pacman -Syuu

It is perfectly explained on the second post of the update announcement thread:

1 Like

i’ve forced an upgrade of the system, and the problem still resides. Maybe the system has the wrong driver installed?

As far as I can see it has both amdgpu and ati loaded.
I have an RX 560 and amdgpu is loaded, while my ati failed. And I have no issues.

Are you sure that the mesa packages got upgraded? Which mesa version is currently installed?

I don’t think the mesa package got upgraded.

Yep, as I suspected. Maybe there is a more elegant solution but what worked for me was just reinstalling all the mesa packages:

sudo pacman -S mesa

Make sure that you do this not just for mesa itself but also for all the other packages which are versioned 19.0.1+really+18.3.5-1. Afterwards the version should be just 19.0.1.

edit: Say, in my case it was:

sudo pacman -S mesa libva-mesa-driver mesa-vdpau vulkan-intel vulkan-radeon lib32-mesa lib32-mesa-vdpau lib32-vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-radeon

1 Like

Actually the easiest way is to “force downgrade” from the repo with sudo pacman -Syyuu.

1 Like

it’s working properly now thank you everyone for the help and patience.

Good to know, for the next time such a thing happens. :slight_smile:

Just incase this can be useful as a temporary stop-gap at any point :+1:t2:

Thanks for the help :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark