Am I fine or do I need some AMD Radeon driver

Hello.

I’ve finally gotten myself an AMD graphics card. I wanted one just because I liked the idea that the drivers are within the kernel.

Having said that, is there anything else I need to install. I’ve heard some talk of MESA drivers, and Vulkan too. Do I already have that with the Linux kernel?

mesa and vulkan are not in the kernel — they are userspace components — but they should normally come installed out-of-the-box in Manjaro.

Ah. You are right. I just searched installed packages and I’ve got them.

So I’m good to go it seems. :+1:

If there’s anything else I need to know please tell me. I am used to the nvidia way of doing things but brand new to radeon on linux. I had amd graphics on windows years ago, but never on this superior operating system I use now. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, nothing I can think of. The in-kernel AMD driver is as good as it gets, and there’s no need for going through all of that DKMS mess like you get with Nvidia. :slight_smile:

Many thanks.

I could not agree with your last comment more. 2 years I’ve been a linux user and all that time on nvidia - on the laptop and the desktop. I got pretty good at setting nomodeset at boot after new installs to bypass the black screen, but who needs that ■■■■ in their life. :+1: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.