Always Backup your System

Maintain your backups, and always do a manual backup prior to system upgrades…I’ve had to start from scratch a few times, but it is much simpler to restore a recent backup.

I use Timeshift for the system backups, and Grsync for the home/user directory.
kgw

3 Likes

Timeshift is very handy for restoring your system when something bad happens. No matter whether individual files or a complete snapshot.

However, it only counts as a “backup within the same file system” (1)
For a real backup strategy you also need external backups on another medium!

Make Backups:

Timeshift snapshots can also become an external backup with:

or other similar programms.
:footprints:

3 Likes

Yes, indeed! I use an external 1Tb SSD for the laptop I’m using.

That @Fabby post is excellent, especially the “How to set up clonezilla to run from grub” part.
Also Timeshift-autosnap-manjaro is very useful.

1 Like

The following has worked well for me:

Snapper (with btrfs-assistant) for the system backup in the background, Borg + Vorta on an external 6TB-HDD (weekly) for my data HDD…

But there are so many possibilities …

From personal experience, I would also add:

Test your backups and make sure you can actually restore from them.

Some years ago, I was a shift operator in a large data centre. Every night we followed the procedures for taking backups for one particular system. Then one day its server suffered a catastrophic disc failure. That was the time when the support team discovered that all those backups we’d made the effort to take had been failing silently and they had no way to restore all the data that had been on the failed disc. I later heard this had cost the company something in the region of £5M in lost revenue.

That certainly made me very punctilious about taking (and testing) backups ever since.

1 Like

Many ideas. Here’s another:
Encrypt your stuff and post it to Usenet.
15+ years of unlimited backup, some 5,700 days for those servers with the longest retention.
Not free, but a cheapo account would last you quite some time.
Of course you already know how to create par2 blocks and NZB files to retrieve what you once posted.
Then all you have to do is to back your NZB files up locally and Bob’s your uncle.
Sort of like what Linus Torvalds allegedly once said (from memory):

Only wimps use tape backup. Real men upload their stuff on FTP and let the rest of the world mirror it.

d=(^.^)=b --(Yay! Backup!)

2 Likes

This risk is always there.

Therefore, I recommend backing up in a way that allows you to easily browse and read your backups. This way you can keep an eye out for your valuable data.

And you should do that every now and then. You can take a look at one or another file as a test. Even a Verify/Compare isn’t a bad idea.

Backing up btrfs snapshots creates searchable backups that can be mounted at any time.
:footprints: