Agent processes are multiplying?

On my Xfce desktop, when I login, a geoclue agent process is created (/usr/lib/geoclue-2.0/demos/agent). When I logout, this process keeps running. When I login, a new agent process is created. And sometimes when I am logging in and out a lot, I get a bunch of these processes. And each one uses 5.9 MB of memory.

What does this agent process do? What happens if I kill all these agents? Should I leave only one running? Does it matter which one?

1 Like

That's a geolocation agent to provide the system/apps the ability to locate you. You can disable it. In Plasma I do it in the startup services' screen. You can check systemctl status geoclue.service and disable it.

3 Likes

The demo agent will still be running after disabling or masking the service. On KDE Plasma there where 3 instances of it right after boot, and were still running as long as the system was running. I set mine to this:
-rw------- 1 38K /usr/lib/geoclue-2.0/demos/agent
so is not executable by anyone.

@bogdancovaciu I disabled "Geoclue Demo Agent" in Xfce Session and Startup, Application Autostart. Now I do not have any agent processes when I login.

I did not touch the service however. It does not seem to be active.

$ systemctl status geoclue
● geoclue.service - Location Lookup Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/geoclue.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

I was not intending to disable geolocation. I was only curious why I had so many of these agents running. But I will see if I have any problems with it disabled! :grin:

1 Like

Maybe check /etc/geoclue/geoclue.conf ?
I have no (geo)clue but perhaps you can configure the behaviour there.

1 Like

Is it starting (for example) one agent per browser tab?

Works perfect many thanks and @korealinux for starting this thread.

1 Like

It was starting when I logged in. But not quitting when I logged out. But I disabled it in my startup now. I log in and out a few times a day so I had a collection of agents after a few days.

Actually, I do have one instance running. I'll have to figure out what triggered it.

EDIT: I found it: /etc/xdg/autostart/geoclue-demo-agent.desktop

EDIT: I'll let it be, as it is needed in case you need geolocation. I'm not sure geolocation will work without starting the service though. I think several processes is normal, since this agent forks itself for every geolocation request. What shouldn't happen, IMO, is these processes hanging around forever (except the first one upon login, of course).

1 Like

Yeah, i plan to investigate this once i got a bit of spare time, but i'll watch this topic too, just in case i don't get anywhere with my investigation. Thanks for confirming!!!

1 Like