After update, Nvidia disappeared

hello,
sorry for the seemingly cryptic title, but I am facing a big problem, I updated my Manjaro like I always do, but I didn’t read the details of the update (I know that it’s a bad practice but at that time I used pamac and I checked a package that I needed, xboxdrv, but didn’t realize that it checked several updates, and hit “Apply”) then I went away a hour or more (for dinner if you wanna know), so naturally my Laptop locked down the screen, when I came back, the screen was all black except the presence of the cursor, I waited a little bit for the login screen to be displayed, it didn’t, so I forced a shut down by pressing the power button, when it booted back on the Nvidia card was gone, maybe you are confused right now but, my Laptop is a Dell Gaming G3 with an Nvidia Geforce GT1650m regular or TI I forgot with 16 Gb of RAM and an SSD of (custom) 512Gb (normally it’s 256Gb),
when that problem came I stayed in front of the Laptop just searching and I found that I should boot from a live ISO & execute this command (I know that they are 3 with 2 && in the middle, here’s the output:

mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li
Currently running: 5.15.60-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
   * linux60-rt
> 0000:03:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9bc4) Display controller Intel Corporation:
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.11.04               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

and I am a gamer & want to go pro in gaming with Arch as a platform, and for that I need Nvidia,
I tried another command to delete video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime but I got this output:

mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
> Removing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by cuda
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=525.60.11' required by linux60-rt-nvidia
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

if you want another info I am available,
thank you in advance.

the mhwd -l and mhwd -li output is from the live usb?

yes, first I ran

manjaro-chroot -a                                                                              ✔ 
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sdc2]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]

ok, so exit chroot:
exit
and run this command again:
mhwd -l -li && inxi -G
to see if the nvidia is detected

no dice!

mhwd -l -li && inxi -G                                                                       1 ✘ 
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/r8168/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/rt3562sta/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
> Installed PCI configs:

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9bc4) Display controller Intel Corporation:
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~120Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.6

strange since I am booting in a live environment with proprietary drivers support

well you have a problem, the nvidia si not being even detected in the live usb… it probably died… are you dual booting with windows?

I sure do

so boot into windows and check if its detected there in the device manager…

thank you, my bad, the graphic card indeed died, it’s just that I wanted to avoid going back to windows really bad, I am uncomfortable about the fact that they spy and retain exclusive ownership of my machine

you can check in bios if its detected there

is is not detected there

hello, this post will explain everything and will hopefully help those in need:
hello,

I am so happy & drunk from happiness (not physically drunk, just morally drunk) so please allow me to talk about my recent experience (it should come in handy for ppl who are facing the same issue):

3 days ago, my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Ti on my DELL laptop (it doesn’t matter which model, the issue happens in many DELL machines, not all of them mind you, but for many, if you wanna know it is a DELL G3 3500 2020) just disappeared from the device manager (on winlol & Linux, Manjaro if you wanna know) so I ruled out the possibility of a software issue

I searched about the issue for 2 days straight, and even started to make plans to buy a newer Lenovo Laptop until I found the solution on DELL forums (so it’s a DELL issue, only happens on DELL laptops)

the solution stated that I should unplug the charger & turn off the machine, press the power button & keep pressing for some seconds (some say 15 s & some 30 but I pressed for 15 seconds or maybe less, I do not trust my sense of time) & now my GTX 1650 Ti is detected

one downside: from the same post on DELL forums, it states that I have to repeat it 3 times, when? what’s the event that triggers the issue? can I make it so a BOT can do it? I don’t know

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.