After the last update I got a new kernel

After the update, I was running kernel 5.13, previously set to 5.10 LTS. Why was this reset arbitrarily?

1 Like

That’s weird and shouldn’t happen any more (it used to be so in the past that you could install linux-latest as a kernel version, but we did away with this a while ago).

What’s the output of:

pamac search latest | grep Installed 

:question:

I don’t have an output there. I also reset the kernel to LTS in the meantime.

1 Like

yes, I know this from Arch :wink:

1 Like

I’m on 5.10 too and it didn’t happen here, so let’s blame it on a solar flare!

:sun_with_face:

1 Like

The update did not change anything. You may have previously been booting from 5.10 via it’s GRUB entry, then after the update you may have chosen the top entry which is always the latest kernel.

Regardless, you can reboot, hold Shift or tap Esc to access the GRUB menu if necessary and choose the kernel you’d like to boot. It will continue to boot whichever entry you choose.

1 Like

Of course the kernel has changed to 5.13! Are you saying that I am talking crap here? Can you look into my computer? I have been explicitly booting from the 5.10 kernel in the grub menu for several weeks. I am still in control of my senses.

Hold on… @Yochanan is trying to say that you might have always has 5.13 installed on your machine but that it never got booted.

He’s just saying the same I’m saying but more technically correct.

:man_shrugging:

Nur Ruhe und Gelassenheit werden sie retten! :wink:

Of course 5.13 was installed before. I never claimed otherwise. in my opening post I asked how it happens that after the update the unset kernel is reactivated without being asked. Nothing more, nothing less. OK, we have the solution, it was the solar storm.
I now know that I have to check which kernel is running after every major update.

1 Like

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: :bed: :zzz:
:wave:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Changing_the_default_menu_entry

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.