After Manjaro update Grub Not Finding Windows?

Hello all,

After the Manjaro update, Grub can`t find Windows. Why this happens and how can I solve this problem?

lsblk

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931,5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 100M 0 part /run/media/vlad/Зарезервировано системой
├─sda2 8:2 0 90,2G 0 part /run/media/vlad/4E12B90612B8F455
├─sda3 8:3 0 1K 0 part
├─sda5 8:5 0 357,4G 0 part /run/media/vlad/64858D4B252D3D70
├─sda6 8:6 0 9,8G 0 part
├─sda7 8:7 0 195,3G 0 part /run/media/vlad/8ee7d4b7-a859-4d67-9cd8-08e1c39062ad
└─sda8 8:8 0 278,7G 0 part /
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

sudo update-grub

Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

sudo parted -l

Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs
2 106MB 96,9GB 96,8GB primary ntfs
3 96,9GB 1000GB 903GB extended lba
5 96,9GB 481GB 384GB logical ntfs
6 481GB 491GB 10,5GB logical linux-swap(v1)
7 491GB 701GB 210GB logical ext4 boot
8 701GB 1000GB 299GB logical ext4

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you.

sudo echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false >> /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub

solved the problem.

1 Like

Just solved this as well, but I have to criticize the decision of disabling os-prober by default.

Why was this decision taken? It seems very needlessly complicated for regular users. I would assume that most people are dual-booting, and those who don’t are not affected by OS-prober being enabled by default.

I also noticed GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden is the default now, not sure if that’s a good idea either.

And, when you do enable OS-prober manually now, you get a warning when running update-grub:

Warning: os-prober was executed to detect other bootable partitions.
It's output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.

Why? Is this a security risk somehow?

2 Likes

Yeah, in the update announement:

• Grub got some needed security updates . Note that os-prober is now disabled by default for security reasons: broken patch ; fixed patch . More infos about it here . To restore the old behavior, open a terminal and issue sudo echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false >> /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub
2 Likes

This was never an issue for me. Do you want to know why? I read the update announcement and added GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to /etc/default/grub before updating.

2 Likes

As discussed in the post below, we can’t reasonably expect all users to read the update announcements before updating:

2 Likes

This is the exact type of response that’s scaring new linux users away.

Congrats on being so linux perfect and flaunting to a user looking for help on a support thread.

You clearly didn’t read the grub update explanation post where others are agreeing that this type of change needs to be more externally facing, and users can’t be expected to read every announcement if they are tinkering with their computer normally.

1 Like

I totally get your point I really do. My only complaint is users just create a new thread automatically about their issue with looking that their question has been asked and answered the post before their’s. I know its human nature to panic when your system is borked so perhaps pinning it as a sticky would be a good idea at least for a few weeks, perhaps more people would see the issue and solution then

Maybe if people would search the forum instead of having 15 threads of the same question, I wouldn’t have given a snarky answer.

or maybe they were panicking because now they think they broke their install and it wasnt something common? I get the email digest daily and saw the new announcement and i even missed the footnote. Have a little consideration. This isnt my browser is broke thing.

1 Like

Do you also consider it unreasonable for users to read what is happening to their system during the update process?

You may have a file /etc/default/grub.pacnew that has the change required for os-prober

cat /etc/default/grub | grep -E 'os-prober|OS_PROBER'

Some of us don’t live and breathe in this forum because of snarky people, so we use google as their primary search. Is it unreasonable to say people will search google first? None of these posts came up in my Google results, because it was an obvious simple fix in the past and there were plenty of articles confirming this. Most websites that have a built in search, suck. That’s just well known and why people would be inclined to not search here first. Reddit anyone?

I think the excuse that “it avoids posting the same question a million times” is just lazy, that’s the point of a forum, we have unlimited posts here. If there is a widespread issue, the first indicator is the forums. I’d hope someone on the mod team noticed an uptick of similar posts and says “hey, this needs to be addressed across the forum.”

This is a failure of the forum. The forum should also have more tools or indicators that a widespread issue is going on to avoid duplicate support posts like what happened today. Kind of like the nvidia notifications I’ve seen the past few months.

Be less snarky. You’re not talking to the same person everytime. It’s probably some newbie just looking for help. If they get burned they ain’t coming back.

2 Likes

Just FYI:

You don’t have to be active on the forum to know about an update notification: [APP] - mntray - Manjaro announcements tray app

1 Like

The first thing you see when visiting the forum:

With any rolling release Linux distro, it is advised to read announcements before updating.

2 Likes

I think the excuse that “it avoids posting the same question a million times” is just lazy, that’s the point of a forum, we have unlimited posts here

But Manjaro has a limited number of users with limited time and limited patience

It’s probably some newbie just looking for help

Better to check a user’s forum stats rather than assume everyone is new

I checked your stats and noticed that you have not yet read the forum guidelines

Improve the Discussion
One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation

I think we’re done here. No fighting, no biting.