After installing proprietary video drivers, my second hdmi monitor no longer works

dual-monitor
video

This is not a failing of Manjaro, this is totally on this user not doing any research before installing the wrong video driver. What do you expect to happen if you blindly install the incorrect video driver.

What next, should every driver install have a warning:

Please ensure you are installing the correct driver on your system before committing to this driver install. Failure to ensure you are installing the correct driver could result in “borking” your system.

Has it really come to this?

mhwd promises to offer noob-friendly driver installation and in general, only displays the drivers that work with your hardware. And it also looks like switching back is as easy as installing another driver.

The thing with catalyst is unique in mhwd, because with catalyst, mhwd also downgrades xorg to 1.17 - which it can’t resolve on the way back. That should be mentioned in a warning because it breaks the whole mhwd - philosophy of offering a simple noob-friendly GUI.

Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

Doug Gwyn, in Introducing Regular Expressions (2012) by Michael Fitzgerald

those “stupid things” should not be possible in a GUI in a distribution aimed at being newbie-friendly. Things like that drive interested people back to Windows.

@BS86, Very good of you to stand on the side of the newcomers. I had no idea that changing the video driver would have caused a problem like this. Years ago when I ran Sidux, I switched between a proprietary video driver and open source drivers several times without problems. I will certainly be more careful, but no one should expect a newcomer to research every single change they make.
Mistakes will happen.

@BS86, I totally agree “stupid things” should not be possible in a GUI. TBG needs to chill a bit in alluding to new users as stupid. Maybe watch a comedy and laugh a bit.

Well video drivers are pretty much the most important driver on your system, so you should definitely not blindy install the most important component on your system and not expect there could be negative results.

Waxy perhaps if you looked before you lept, you would not have so many help requests on the forum. That in no way means you are stupid. It means you would rather rely on the community to fix your errors, than actually do some research on your own to ensure you are doing things correctly.

My favorite related quote. :heart: It relieves me of personal responsibility for sins errors I might commit. Ees no’ mine! :smiley:

I ran the commands you sent to switch back to free.
The original problem is now fixed! Thanks! My display stretches across both monitors as it did before.

Here is the output of inxi -Fxxxz

$ inxi -Fxxxz
System:    Host: GiantRaffy Kernel: 4.14.81-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.3 
           tk: Qt 5.11.2 wm: kwin_x11 dm: startx Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z170X-Gaming 5 v: x.x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: F21 
           date: 03/06/2017 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 64152 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Barts PRO [Radeon HD 6850] vendor: XFX Pine driver: radeon v: kernel 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:6739 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: none compositor: kwin_x11 tty: N/A 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD BARTS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.81-1-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.0) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.5 compat-v: 3.1 
           direct render: Yes

The problem now is that during bootup, only a command line appears. I have to log in with password. I started the GUI with startx. What should be done to prevent this and have Manjaro boot up directly?

I just checked the Hardware Config Manager GUI - it appears to be “borked”. Will this fix itself with running release updates? Is it something to be concerned about?
Hardware%20Config%20Manager|575x414

Both mhwd-catalyst and mhwd-db-amdgpu-experimental need to be removed.

Not sure why that happens. @Tids any help?

I can’t view the image.

that one is not present per default. You need to install it in pacman or some other tool to make it available.

Maybe he needs to enable or install a display manager, like sddm.

Thanks for your replies.
My system still has mhwd-chroot, mhwd-nvidia, mhwd-nvidia-340xx, mhwd-nvidia-390xx

Currently, at startup, Manjaro starts from console where I have to input user name, password, then type startx. At shutdown, Manjaro also reverts to console and ends with command reports. I have to manually power off my computer.

I’ve read quite a few posts from users who have encountered problems from installing the proprietary video drivers and their methods of recovery. I’m assuming my best bet for recovery is to first try Heart-of-a-Lion’s suggestions How to save your Manjaro installation when it breaks.

In order to avoid making the problem worse, I’ll avoid attempting that repair until a Linux IT friend can cover over to check it with me on Sunday. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just reinstall.

Thanks again to all for the guidance on this.

Well, I disagree. That’s a failing of Manjaro.

A Drivers GUI utility is meant to offer (mostly) inexperienced users a way to install and manage their system drivers in an easy and intuitive way. The fact that mhwd still not only offers a deprecated video driver, but it also gets tricky by downgrading xorg to an older version in order to achieve to install it, causing the system to fail, ain’t a user’s fault. That’s more than obvious that the fail goes to the developer’s side.

And it’s not the user who’s marketing Manjaro as a distro which has

Automatic installation of the necessary software (e.g. graphics drivers) for your system

right? :slightly_smiling_face: No need to throw away new users like this IMO. If Windows (or any OS) offered you to install a driver causing system breakage would you blame MS or yourself instead?

Friendly.

No distro can be all things to all people. You can’t compare a distro with a small core group of unpaid volunteers with a multi-billion dollar OS with thousands of paid full time developers.

It is easy to be critical of Linux’s shortcomings, but unless you’re willing and capable of stepping up to the plate and assisting to correct deficiencies then you really are not being realistic. Your expectations and criticism of a volunteer led project are unjustifiable.

If you are not willing to contribute code or financially to make improvements then you really have no right to complain. How much do you really think a small group of volunteers can manage in their spare time while holding down a full time job and juggling their real life obligations.

You need to look in the mirror and ask if you’re doing enough, before you start complaining that the core team of Manjaro aren’t.

I’m not criticising Linux, not even the mhwd tool. It does a good job in many cases and I’m thankful that someone has put effort on it, in the first place. In fact I love and use Linux as my main system in the last decade.

I am willing to contribute with code when possible, but that’s not on topic at all. And I have every right to provide feedback (be it complaining, bug reporting, translating or code) to an open source project, or any project that can benefit by it. Anyway, that’s still off-topic.

The fact that a tool is developed by volunteers does also mean that anything that doesn’t work as expected is the user’s fault? If I write a program – without earning any money from it – that breaks, let’s say, randomly, am I supposed to blame the user for its actions every time that it crashes? I bet that you agree with me that no, I’m not right at all if I do that. Instead, I could listen to their feedback and try to improve my application if I care, or do nothing if I don’t have the resources.

How can we be so critical to the new users and expect them to be positive about Linux by blaming them for something that it’s not even their fault?

As I stated, I believe it comes down to unrealistic expectations. If a new user coming to Linux expects the same Level of development from a free project as a multi billion dollar corporation they have unrealistic expectations.

You either pay up front with data collection and exorbitant software costs, or you pay with the time and effort it takes to learn to manage a free operating system. In the end both have costs, you rarely get anything for nothing.

That’s a great quote! I might even consider it as a wallpaper caption.

But I’ll be stubborn, and keep my disaggreement that the user shouldn’t be blamed in this case :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Let’s end this offtopic here though, as it doesn’t help much to solve the OP’s problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.