Ads in Microsoft Wordpad.

Oh I am so done. I halfway debated putting this in Linux Humor.

4 Likes

Great place - ILMAO

2 Likes

i guess they need some money to pay the development of this ooooooooooooold editor.. :wink:

3 Likes

Using a front end ad blocker on my hosts is a life saver. Thinking of using adaway from my android and copying the hosts file over to my linux computers. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

For me, this one of those clickbait titles where the actual content isn't that extreme.

They are basically just putting an upgrade to office recommendation. Not awesome, but pretty far from the worse thing that could happen.

What about a pihole? I love that it does dns blacklisting for every device, even iot devices and things that don't support local changes or hosts files.

3 Likes

Need to buy one first. Certainly thinking of it.

1 Like

It doesn't actually have to run on a pi. You can install it in a docker, a vm or on one of your existing machines. It is in AUR.

2 Likes

Have maybe a few computers I can try it on as well a few VM. Likely dig into soon as I will be out of commission for a few weeks from doing anything else.
I like that, a make work project. Thanks

2 Likes

This would be in Linux humor if it wasn't actually true.:open_mouth:

1 Like

@Whinery I thoroughly recommend Blokada, does not require root, but they are trying to monetize it by adding pay for services.

3 Likes

Why not just use a curated list ?
there are a few, but one example is update-hosts-git in the aur.
I would bet it would blow the adaway list out of the water :wink:

2 Likes

I use the list from dan polloc at someonewhocares.org and have been for some years now. Even made a little batch file that runs on boot and updates the hosts file each boot.
However, I will check out update-hosts-git from the aur.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks will read up and look into Blokada.

And what does it block?

So where the batch file? Nevermind I found it.

1 Like

Whatever you want ... take a look at the source.. for example it can add up steven black and someonewhocares and some ad lists together with anti crypto mining .. updated constantly.

Seems to work very good. Just need to add a batch to run on exit to update the hosts so it's ready for the next boot.
Thanks again

(for that particular hosts updater) I dont exactly like the header (top of page - pertaining to localhost and such) that it generates .. so I dont run it blindly .. I let it generate, and then re-prepend my 'topping'. But 'YMMV'
And again - there are other similar solutions .. from memory there were at least 3 or 4 similar scripts in the AUR.

1 Like

Please post your script.

Hi tbg, sure thing. I also had it running with systemd timers on boot thanks to your thread on scripts for systemd services. This little script uses the backup of hosts for the localhost and so on then add the data from someonewhocars.org and would likely have to be adjusted for folks with larger localhost file.

#!/bin/bash
if nm-online -t 600 -q = 0                                        # test for network connection
then
	sleep 20                                                  # sleep for 20 seconds
	cd /tmp || exit                                           # switch to tmp dir$
	wget http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ipv6/"hosts"        # download data
else
	exit                                                      # exit no network connection
fi
##
if test -s hosts                                                  # file exists and it's size is greater than zero
then
	rm /etc/hosts                                             # remove file hosts from /etc
	cp /etc/.etchosts /etc/hosts                              # copy backup of file hosts back to /etc/hosts
	sed -ne '/# Last updated:/ p' hosts > hostsdate.txt       # Locate date and save to hostsdate.txt
	echo >> hostsdate.txt                                     # Add a additional line to hostsdate.txt
	sed -i -n -E -e '/#<shock-sites>/,$ p' hosts | sed '1 d'  # Delete all lines up to "#<shock-sites>"
	sed -i '/Windows10>/q' hosts                              # Delete all lines after string "Windows10>"
	sed -i -e 's/127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/g' hosts                   # remove string 127.0.0.1 and replace it with 0.0.0.0
	cat hostsdate.txt >> /etc/hosts                           # add the date from file hostsdate.txt to /etc/host
	cat hosts >> /etc/hosts                                   # add the data from file hosts to /etc/hosts
	rm hosts                                                  # remove tmp file hosts
	rm hostsdate.txt                                          # remove tmp file hostsdate.txt
else
	if test -e hosts                                          # file exists and it's size is zero
	then
		rm hosts                                          # remove tmp file hosts
		rm hostsdate.txt                                  # remove tmp file hostsdate.txt
	fi
fi

Forum kindly sponsored by