Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2018 in Manjaro

I did this:

1. Install wine and winetricks
  2. Execute these commands in a terminal:
    winetricks atmlib
    winetricks riched20
    winetricks wsh57
    winetricks mspatcha
  3. Get the Windows 7 fonts, specially the sego* fonts. They should be in a Windows installation, in the folder c:/windows, or similar.
  4. Copy the windows fonts to a folder in /usr/share/fonts
  5. In a terminal execute this command:
    sudo fc-cache -vf
  6. Download the Windows version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from www.adobe.com
    (You will get a file similar to this: AcroRdrDC1801120040_us_US.exe)
  7. Open a terminal and go to the folder were you downloaded the Adobe file.
  8. Execute this command in the terminal (change it according to the exact name of the file)
    wine AcroRdrDC1801120040_us_US.exe
  9. At start up, select always protected mode disabled.
  10. Accept the license.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Hi. I guess you can change the category of your post to “tutorials” and edit its topic so that other users can easier understand that you don’t ask for help.

It’s not quite #technical-issues-and-assistance:tutorials -style yet. Some formatting improvements would go some way to help. :wink:

I am new here. I cannot even post in Tutorials. But if this helps somebody, I am glad.

I would like a notion as to why Adobe Reader could be needed over lets say, Evince and Okular. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the message… I don’t think that it is necessarily “over” other applications. I did not say that… Nevertheless some institutions demand it, for example to fill certain forms online, etc. For me, it is useful to have all options open.

I wanted to file my taxes yesterday and their form was a PDF file that pretty much implements a SPA with JavaScript validation, calling their API to validate my identity, uploading a zip file and digitally signing it.

Failed to install Adobe Reader at home on my Manjaro, and did it just now on my work Macbook.

Really wished I searched for this tutorial last evening but I was to tired from work and just went to sleep after playonlinux and a quick wine trial failed me, but I will try again this evening to see if it works and give feedback here.

Adobe products are a pain for me, while there are better alternatives for the type of work they are used for out there, it does not matter in the end, you have to install and use them one way or the other as the people making these forms don’t give a flying horse manure that you can not use it… it works for them, they ticked their bureaucratic checkboxes and you get fined if you don’t comply.

1 Like

One day the governments of the world will be made to use open source standards for documents. Sadly we have a long ways to go yet. A few progressive governments have implemented these changes. We can only hope one day this comes to pass.

1 Like

Could the reason for this be that the larger software houses are willing to bribe our normally so decent governments? Or am I not allowed to say this?

1 Like

Hmm, I think you might be onto something here. :wink:

Well in a civilised country you are not forced to use Adobe we live in Peru. pay bussiness taxes in the UK, download the pdf save and print, fill it in sign it use the security number given by the Inland Revinue, scan mail back done. just use evince.

I got it partially working with the instructions detailed by @filozofio. The problems I still have are with the fonts. I don’t have a windows from which to copy the fonts, so I tried with yaourt -S ttf-ms-fonts and sudo fc-cache -vf but had no success. Also tried [re]installing the corefonts via winetricks.

While blindly clicking trough the forms I noticed the digital signature functionality also does not work.

I guess I’ll have to use someone esle’s machine every year when I have to do my taxes… or find some other way around this. It’s a shame but Adobe products are just not worth the effort.

You are correct @mandog. Civilized countries have already adopted this practice. Peru is one of the countries that respects the computer users right to software freedom. It’s a shame more countries haven’t adopted this philosophy.

I found the fonts in an old computer. But you can also google for them, just typing “windows 7 fonts free download” or similar.

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! By the way, if you place the fonts in ~/.local/share/fonts, you don’t need admin rights to run fc-cache (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts#Manual_installation).

1 Like

Thank you for this. I was trying to complete a PDF form with Evince and needed the completed form to be recognized by Adobe. I found out that if you complete a form with Evince and then open it with Adobe, all the completed fields will be blank and the work around mentioned on Adobe’s support page doesn’t work when the form is completed using Evince.

This is my recipe:

1. Install Wine and Winetricks.
  2. Download the executable file from here.
  3. Move or link the executable file to a place you can easily find.
  4. Execute the file to open the Adobe Reader.
  5. Then open the PDF file using the “File → Open…”.

Note: This is a standalone software (no need to install).

Drawback:
I could not figure out how to associate the .pdf extension with the program .exe, in order to just click click the file in a file manager (I use Krusader).

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by