What should I consider before updating Kernel 5.10 - 5.13?

I have Manjaro 21.1, Gnome 40.3
I noticed the news about Manjaro 21.1 having Kernel 5.13, but mine is still 5.10.
I’m wondering if I should upgrade via the Manjaro Settings Manager or just stick with 5.10 ~
Is it safe to upgrade, what issues might occur?

I am fairly new to Linux & i have never done a kernel update like this before, so just looking for some general advice.

Nothing much.

Technically, you don’t upgrade the kernel, you rather install a newer version alongside the older one. If you boot with multiple versions installed, the newer one will be used by default.
If you do want to remove the old one, be sure to do so after rebooting to the newer one.

Out of this, 5.10 is a Long Term Support kernel, while 5.13 is not. So installing 5.13 will require you to change it for 5.14 when the latter will come out, while you can keep the 5.10 for much, much longer.

5 Likes

The only reason you’d need 5.13 is if 5.10 doesn’t properly support your hardware, but 5.13 does.

1 Like

Thanks, this is great advice.

2 more reasons:

• there’s some new cool feature in a newer kernel you wanna try;
  • some regression introduced to your current kernel with a routine update (this happens sometimes) and you want to know if it also affects newer kernels before filing a bug report.
1 Like

At least another one reason - file system using: btrfs Wiki

Some news sites make it sound like the current standard release has the 5.13 kernel.

My Manjaro says ‘rolling release’, & was from the official download page (top one). So does this article mean people are downloading the standard release like me & then changing the kernel?

You said 5.10 is LTS, but I did not download the LTS version of Manjaro afaik… I’m a little confused about this as I thought rolling release & LTS were different.

I’d just want to understand better what the versions mean.

The Kernel will keep updating along with the rest of the system but whatever kernel your running as in 5.10 it will keep updating that kernel and it’s LTS so it will be supported longer.If your running kernel 5.13 it will keep updating until it’s EOL which is usually around 6 months then you would have to update to 5.14.I like running the latest kernels but some would rather have the LTS versions as they maybe more stable in the long run.

1 Like

The current ISO has the 5.13 kernel.

Manjaro being rolling-release, previous installations kept up-to-date use the same versions of the packages as that ISO. But new or removed packages in that ISO are not automatically installed or removed through those updates.
Manjaro allows users to have multiple kernel versions installed at the same time, with each kernel version having their own package. Thus, if you installed Manjaro when the 5.10 kernel was the default, you have the linux510 package installed, which will keep on receiving (patch) updates as long as it is maintained. But the 5.13 kernel (package linux513) will not be automatically installed when available. Effectively, users that want to use the latest kernel must install it manually.

1 Like

My simplistic interpretation
Anything new to learn will have sometimes points that can seem confusing at first,
I’m learning to use the kernels to better suit my newish hardware,
This is how it worked for this machine,
I felt I had too much built up rubbish on here so reinstalled Manjaro after a few years of trying out a lot of apps, installing and uninstall apps.

New install had kernel 5.10 I had read some reports where it was a bit of not the best, before the Manjaro team sorted a lot of problems out,
So installed 5.4 LTS I knew it worked and if needed it was installed,
Then I’ve got 5.4 LTS and 5.10 just had gone to LTS for the new install
5.10 LTS was often freezing up my machine and journald log was overworking.

added 5.12 ugh improved journald overworking at random a reboot or three sorted that and only freezing up the machine every few days.

As soon as was released added 5.13 it really sorted journald nice and behaved again, only one freeze since installing, ocassionally trying to replicate that has is it two weeks ? checked Pamac history 12 days.
I did remove 5.10 and 5.12 both 3 days ago no rush let everything settle in first
Kept 5.4 and 5.13 both work when the next kernel comes (5.14) along I’ll go to that again like ben81 mentioned it’s what works best with your hardware.

Until another LTS becomes available I’ll sit with what worked on this machine.

With the freezing up ( my main pain ) my way to do that is what I’ve used for round about ten years involves in the system settings change the function of the power button,

This article is a refreshed version and a good read,

Enjoy your Linux/Manjaro drive
Manjaro HUH works
Noel

2 Likes

Thanks again for the great advice.

I have discovered that, as ben81 mentioned, I do have some possible unsupported hardware issues.
I can’t detect Bluetooth devices in Manjaro Gnome, even though BT is on & seems to be functioning. The same devices are fine in Ubuntu using the same set of bluetooth modules (as listed in lsmod)
SO - im wondering if I had better try the newer Kernel (Ubuntu is using 5.11)

In this case should I just change the kernel via the Manjaro Settings Manager & that is it? or is there more to do to complete the process?

yes Manjaro Settings install 5.13 and reboot and you’ll be on that kernel

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I updated, it was much easier than expected. Now Bluetooth works.

1 Like