Additional ARM Packages

I just had a few attempts and failed each time. It’s not packagable, but if you desperately want to run code on Manjaro ARM, there’s always this AUR binary package, which I can confirm works. The upstream git repo is way beyond my ability to interpret, so there’s no way I’d be able to make a PKGBUILD from it.

EDIT: You can install this version if you want to, but @Darksky is working on a version of code to add to the Manjaro repos.

1 Like

Yes it is. You have to add some lines in the PKGBUILD for arm64. Also I had to switch over to my pi4 8G as the vim3 4G did not have enough ram. I am also going to have to run makepkg -R and rebuild the package. The .desktop file is not working with the start command in it. Since I have no clue if it all works I can not test it:

I thought manjaro required ‘from source’ PKGBUILDs for the repos? Or have you managed to package the MS git repo source?

All I did was build code-git from AUR. Have to add some lines in the PKGBUILD for it to pull down and build for arm64. I will repackage it with a command that will run in the .desktop file and post a link to the package here. It should not tale long to repackage.

1 Like

That was the AUR package I was trying to modify. What was the magic line that was needed? I tried adding a $CARCH case for aarch64 and adding aarch64 to the arch array. I also tried doing a few of the things people had suggested in the comments.

1 Like

That was where things went south for you.

aarch64)
        _vscode_arch=arm64
        ;;

I have discovered that the .desktop file is provided from the git and not the PKGBUILD. I am going to upload the package for you to test to see if all is good before I get into modifying the PKGBUILD again.

1 Like

@anon80447176

Would like to point out I built it while on the testing branch by accident so if you have issues switch to the testing branch and do an upgrade and restart Code.

UPDATE:

code-1.50-1 has been pushed to the unstable branch

3 Likes

It works. I got the following warning when using the --no-sandbox option:

Warning: 'sandbox' is not in the list of known options, but still passed to Electron/Chromium.
2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I modified the code-git.desktop and made another package and put the link in my above post. Install it and you can use the Code icon in the Menu to launch it.

The code .desktop file was provided by Microsoft and it had the execute command which only gave an error box. Then it also had what appears to be a Ubuntu parameter (unity) along with the --sandbox.

I also put a link to the PKGBUILD above but one would need to have a lot of ram to compile it or it will freeze. I saw 7.3G usage at one time on my pi4 8G.

Test it for a while and I will put it in the repo if all seems to be ok. Any one else who wants to test and give feed back also is welcome to it.

1 Like

@anon80447176

Are you ready to shift gears and do some more testing? @spikerguy saw today on Twitter where Microsoft they were making some official aarch64 packages today. I had to download a tarball as arch was not an option. The tarball seems to be self contained and has everything in it to run Code. It appears to be full blown as the package I made is 59M; @1/5 of the AUR git packages. The bulk is under VSCode-linux-arm64/resources/app/extensions/ which appears to be a ton of programming language related stuff.

visualstudio Download

Thanks for this effort. I look after a good IDE, unfortunately I only own a 4Gb Rpi4. But anyway, vscode seems to be really appreciated in general, don’t ever look at codium which is the same core app but without MS “telemetry” ?
EDIT : There is a 1.5 codium arm64 bin package available on AUR : PKGBUILD - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

2 Likes

Downloading…

Do you have anything specific you want me to test? I can open it and try to use it to do a bit of R/python coding, but that would be the limits of my usage case.

Hold off. I shifted gears again and built a package from their .deb. Give me a few minutes to upload.

Bit late… just installed the other one. Seemed to work, for what it’s worth.

Why would the deb be a better source than the tarball?

Will test the next one when it’s ready.

From what I could tell nothing. I am fixing to push this last build and just wanted to test if all is still ok first.

Cool… building…

Cleared out all the old [cC]ode* folders from ~/.config in case any of them interfere with the new version.

Great. Just test on anything you do.

I saw one hidden in ~/ today also.

Missed that one.

Got an error when running makepkg -srci:

:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing code                                                                                                       [###########################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_CI0ds3/.INSTALL: line 9: update-alternatives: command not found
error: command failed to execute correctly

However, when I ran it a second time, it worked. Removed the other ~/.vscode* directory before trying again, although I don’t think that would have made a difference.

I saw that line in the .deb file. Might not be needed as pacman may take care of it. What is important is make a link for the code bin. I did not notice that while installing.

I wonder what update-alternatives equivalent is for arch. I just remembered the reason they wanted to do that. They wanted to disable file associations as they said most coders did not want that. We do not have a update-alternatives command.

Ubuntu way:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/editor editor /usr/bin/code 0