Additional ARM Packages

That’s an experimental flag to enable GL3 functions. For most things, you won’t need it.

The two most prominent items that require it for me are Godot ES3 renderer (artefact of how Xorg gets es3 context) and OBS. I’m sure more examples could popup - maybe with emulators?

1 Like

Should not be needed on Mesa 20.3 and above, as far as I know?

1 Like

Did they enable it by default?

I’m sure gles3 has been but I haven’t seen notes about gl3

I think I saw a commit in mesa repo that mentioned it some time ago.

EDIT: Just checked. It was another PAN_MESA_DEBUG flag I was thinking of. Sorry.

1 Like

Wow, this became an active thread! I hope this is still the best place for this sort of chatter.

Has anyone considered porting Manjaro-Printer package to the ARM world? I noticed it in documentation @ Printing - Manjaro, but doesn’t seem to be available (“error: target not found: manjaro-printer”). Sure looks like it would make things easy.

I’ve been struggling to get a network printer up and working. Attempting to piecemeal my print config by installing Cups, Printer-Config, building aarch64 version of driver via AUR, etc. Probably one of those desktop things that should be easier!

// Good job on Arm/Plasma, btw - Keep at it! Manjaro/RPi4/SSD is now my primary system, working great //

lightdm-settings
lightdm-slick-greeter

Both are in the official Manjaro repo, but not in the ARM repo. But there seems to be a bit of breakage in the lightdm-slick-greeter install. See here

While that may be true, unfortunately, neither are in the Arch Linux ARM repos. Are you able to make/get a PKGBUILD that works on aarch64 for each? Had a quick look around and I couldn’t find any. Are the PKGBUILDs architecture-agnostic by nature? They’re also not in the Arch Linux x86_64 repos, so I’m guessing they’re maintained by the Manjaro x86_64 Team.

Out of interest, are the PKGBUILDs that Manjaro use for the packages in their own repos publicly available anywhere? Looked around a bit & haven’t been able to find them. All I can find is this.

I have them installed and working properly from the AUR. I don’t recall for sure, but I may have needed to add aarch64 to the PKGBUILD of lightdm-slick-greeter.

I have seen others inquire concerning a read only file system. I installed raspberry-overlayroot-git from the AUR. No clue if it is still maintained. However, it works nicely and would think it or something similar would be a great addition to the repo.

Edit: Actually, that -git is out of date. How is that? I thought a -git pulled the latest version?
But anyway, here it is on github

Maybe they’ve used #tag=$pkgver at the end of Git repo URL in the source field to fix it to a release version, like this.

For a while now, I’ve been maintaining the ARM version on Vivaldi on the AUR (AUR (en) - vivaldi-arm-bin). I’ve tried to get this package included upstream in the Arch Linux repos, and notified the Arch forums about the problems with the existing package, but no-one ever replied to me:

I was wondering whether anyone here could take a look at the PKGBUILD + *.install file, provide some feedback, and potentially include the package in the Manjaro ARM repos if there’s any interest.

1 Like

1 bit of feedback only “packagers” care about is how frequent the updates are in upstream.

Chromium based browsers have a tendency to update often. Sometimes multiple times per week.
So, how often does upstream release a new version of the browser?

We would also need written permission from the Vivaldi team to redistribute the binaries.

Looks kind of erratic. But roughly 2–3x a month. Out of interest, would written permission granted to Manjaro x86_64 extend to Manjaro ARM, as Vivaldi is already in their repos?

1 Like

No, because it’s a separate package, that we have to maintain. If we could use the regular package then yes, it would extend, I think.

We got permission to get Vivaldi in our repository, so I packaged it up (based on your PKGBUILD in AUR) and added it to our unstable branch just now.

3 Likes

Thanks Strit. Have to see if there’s any interest in it.

I have tested the Vivaldi package and I think it runs better on an RPi4 than the basic Chromium package. For me, Firefox is still the better option as it seems to place a lesser load on the RPi4, but Vivaldi with hardware acceleration enabled, is not too far off of the mark.

2 Likes

Thanks for testing. :slight_smile:

im in unstable repos, how to enable kde-unstable repos?

If you are in arm-unstable, you will get the arm-unstable version by a simple mirror sync and update. But maybe you are referring to the git version?
To install the git version, I ran:

$ sudo pacman -Syu plasma-desktop-git