Adding "downgrade" option to Pamac?

Hi,

As it is now, in the "Details" section of an installed package, there are options for remove and reinstall. I wonder if it is worthwhile to incorporate the functionality of the downgrade command in there as well.

cheers,
:m:

You mean like this?

1 Like

I have it enabled, but how can I downgrade an specific package from within pamac?

you cant simply downgrade a single package
you need to downgrade all packages required by it and depend on it

downgrade is more difficult than a upgrade.

one compromise would be to locally compile the previous version with new deps.

so only single package will be downgraded.

2 Likes

You can't downgrade a package. This feature means if we developer downgrade a package on our end pamac will notice that and downgrade it too. As we does not save or archive old packages on server side you would only be able to downgrade packages on your local cache.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that.

That is what I had on my mind. Something like having a button to downgrade packages on the local cache.

All I do is double click on the package I wish to downgrade from my package cache and pamac starts the downgrade process. That seems pretty simple to me.

6 Likes

It would be ideal if you did as in archive.archlinux.org/packages
Because not all packages in the Manjaro repository are backward compatible with Archlinux.

I think that is a very few packages - mostly kernels, extra modules and graphic drivers.

And of course Pamac - which has an AUR version too.

Making such option available in Pamac would potentially wreck havoc in systems when users begins to downgrade a package - just to see how it works - then blame the developer and Manjaro as distribution for breaking the system.

Not to mention all the bad press coming from above scenario.

Please don't add such option - it would mean endless forum topics - Manjaro broke my system - how? I downgraded a package using Pamac.

1 Like

I don't care about pamac downgrade option, but I don't think this is a valid argument.
By extension Manjaro should disable root access because I can break my system logging in as root and doing something idiotic?

Why is it not valid?

You know - as well as I - that if you make a downgrade action as easy as clicking a button in Pamac - it will be used.

Just look at the forum issues - it has taken a long - long time time to change the habit of routinely using recommending the use of the -Syyuu sequence.

Over the past three years I have seen so many issues where some recommend waving the wand.

Some think a downgrade is the magic wand that restores your system - while it - in reality may make things worse and even create xyproblems - issues where the describe problem comes from an attempt to solve another.

Such is issues are impossible to solve.

There is no need to encourage users to potentially damage their systems.

1 Like

Doesn't have to be an easy and ready to click button. Definitly should come as "default off" with a "not supported" warning. But entirely robbing the user of the possibility to use it because it can cause breakage is too much handholding (for me).

Quite right. An option with an explicit warning doesn't sound like encouragement though.

But as I said: I don't care for the pamac downgrade option in itself.

If (inexperienced) users must be protected from themselves (and their stupidity?), do it by warnings and education rather than forbidding and deliberatly crippling tools.
There are oh so many possibilities to break any system. Taking them all away would take away all power from any user.

1 Like

A simple action sudo rm --no-preserve-root -rf / can do much more harm than package downgrade :wink:

For the user to do something, he must enter the administrator password.
Beginner will not downgrade packets and so on. For an experienced user, this function would come in handy.

The problem is not to downgrade the package, if I want I can lower it even if I don’t have it in the cache by downloading from archive.archlinux.org

The problem is that in Manjaro there is no package archive on the server. In order to lower the package if it is not in the cache and not download from archive.archlinux.org, but do it directly in Pamac.

I completely agree. :+1:

For example :bomb: sudo rm --no-preserve-root -rf / :boom:

For example, how Google deprived Android of root rights. :-1:

1 Like

That's not true. I suppose you are referring to Pamac GUI, which is one utility.

They will, if it is in GUI, just after they read such an advice in the Internets gurus sites.
GUI (pamac etc) is targeted to inexperienced users mainly, if not exclusivelly.
In the sense of educating, downgrade is not just a choice. Downgrading specific packages requires significant system knowledge, as to when and how you end the partial upgrade status.
Using other tools (pacman...) you may still downgrade, just simple.

From a Human Behavior Analysis perspective, I totally agree with the absence of individual downgrade option in Pamac GUI. Although, I might not have a strong argument if it was included in pamac-cli, with appropriate warnings, of course.

The thread title speaks of "Pamac" and the post I answered to did as well:

Which I assumed was "all of pamac" meant pamac in its entirety.

Not providing such an option in GUI but still supporting it via command line definitly is one way of implementing just what I said before

What is so frakking hard about installing downgrade from the AUR, and running it from a terminal?

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

have a look at pamac info pamac-cli

and pamac search -a pamac

I'm aware and to avoid further misunderstandings I've edited my post to this effect.

Do not suffer from paranoia. :sunglasses:

As I said above for the user to do something, he must enter the administrator password!
To be logical, you can do a lot of things badly, not only in the GUI.
I repeat for those who read but do not see -> a simple command kills a system:
sudo rm --no-preserve-root -rf / this is much worse than downgrading a package in pamac! :wink:

Moreover, by default, this function should be turned off and when it is turned on, a warning should be displayed - something like this "do this at your own peril and risk"

Turns on with confirmations:

1. You are sure?
  2. Are you sure that you are sure?
  3. You are not drunk?
    :smile:

Thanks! Everyone (should) know brilliant minds are commonly misunderstood as paranoid! :sunglasses:

Human mind responds in different scale on different input methods, optical, audible, reading text etc. Greater effect comes with optical stimulation.
In general, we have observed that inexperienced users are more cautious when working in command line utilities, than with GUI ones, even doing the same tasks.
(Free lessons from a ... paranoid! :smiley: )

I guess we all agree :man_shrugging:

Forum kindly sponsored by