Add Super Stable Branch

Manjaro is a convenient distribution due to the fact that it is simply installed without the red-eye. Very well decorated in terms of design in any DE. It has a utility for configuring drivers, changing kernels, and the pamac package manager.

And of course, a stable branch of packages into which several stages of testing fall.
But as far as DE Gnome is concerned, I’m thinking of other DEs, it would be good for improved stability to have another LTS or (super stable) branch in which Gnome itself will be updated with a delay of several months, so that all bugs are closed and extensions are finalized.

My Manjaro system is not needed for games, but for work, and I’m tired of these difficult and frequent transitions from one version of Gnome to another, just to update the entire system and wait a few months until all errors are fixed and the extensions are improved to a stable state!

Moved to #general-discussion:rants-and-raves as this is a matter of opinion.

I am retired so not using my system for work - and just as you do - I appreciate a stable reliable system.

When I started with Manjaro Gnome wasn't even an official edition. Gnome attracted me and I used it for some time. Then I started to get issues - doubled gdm session and extensions breaking - mostly you are having my experience - and it is a pest.

I began testing the window managers and the only one I found doable was Openbox. A bit of a learning curve though - but I eventually got there - I have created the perfect workstation for my needs.

I found that stable branch was a little to stable for me and since I came from Arch I had no problems with the Manjaro unstable branch. And this is were I have been for the past 2 years - Manjaro unstable Openbox - and it is rock solid.

Openbox is not DE, but a window manager, I also tried with Awesome wm, but could not make a suitable system for work for several reasons, WM will not be able to replace DE

What defines - by your measure/opinion - a DE?

I my world the DE - is the environment in which you interact with the computer system.

Every DE uses a window manager (XFCE=xfwm, KDE=kwin, LXDE=openbox, LXQt=openbox, Gnome=mutter).

The DE makes some decision on your behalf like a predefined set of apps like a file manager, terminal emulator, control panel etc.

In that process they build a layer - a layer we often hear about when it breaks - when a shell-extension no longer works due to upstream changes in the shell - it is a heap of dominos' affected by one domino falling.

I got tired of the constant flow of Gnome issues I had to fix.

Skipping that layer where other make decisions on which apps I use - it is the best decision of my entire computer life - which has lasted since DOS was in v3.3 and Windows was a graphical Word application.

If you want to use Gnome and have a stable system consider installing using Manjaro Architect and installing a vanilla Gnome desktop and avoid installing 3rd party extensions.

Debian is probably where you will get a stable Gnome experience. You could even go with Debian rolling to be more upfront.

Linux Mint Debian is probably where you will get the best of both worlds - rolling and stable.

I am not saying this is a bad idea, but I have a question:

Why not use a LTS point release distribution with GNOME?

Once the system is stable, changing drivers or kernels might not be important anymore (since you want stability) and there are loads of different package managers.

Practically this is a reiteration of the same "request" done here

6 Likes

Good question. It doesn’t get much more LTS than RHEL/CentOS. It uses Gnome and you get around ten years of support :wink:

4 Likes

Manjaro is a rolling release distribution. Having an LTS branch kind of contradicts the purpose, no? As others have said, if you want LTS, use an LTS distribution. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Bah!

You mean the horse you chose to ride keeps throwing you? Sounds like it is time for a new horse. Or a new arena.

10 Likes

I foresaw all your answers :wink:

Before Manjaro, I used Ubuntu lts and I won’t talk about what Manjaro suited me for compared to LTS.

Perhaps I incorrectly named the topic, I did not mean the LTS release as such. I meant the same rolling release, but with a delay in changing DE when updating in the stable Archlinux branch and the most stable Manjaro branch.

Like a superstable branch. :+1:

But it is clear that no one will bother with this, so I will continue to do in pacman.conf

IgnoreGroup = gnome

until stabilization. :wink:

That already happens TBH. Packages go from manjaro unstable (basically arch stable) to manjaro testing and then finally to manjaro stable. Sometimes upstream arch makes a change that requires an adjustment to get pushed out right away to prevent system breakage.

But the stable branch in Manjaro unfortunately does not add stability to the least with respect to the Gnome.

I test Gnome 3.34 on VirtualBox and have an increased memory consumption of up to 400+ mb for half an hour of work in comparison with Gnome 3.32 on my working machine with a maximum of 260 mb after several days of work. Also night light does not work. :rage:

Fook me I have gnome 3.34 on Arch and it starts at 450 mb and stays their apart from when i open apps. when I close apps it drops back down.
You my friend have a pbec problem you need to sort out, Gnome is not the problem as you are the only one facing the problem?

2 Likes

After restarting Alt + F2 r, Gnome 3.34 for me on a cold start starts from 220 - 260 mb and the leak continues on to 400+ mb. On Gnome 3.32, a cold start starts at 120 - 160 mb.
The set of extensions on Gnome 3.32 and Gnome 3.34 is the same.

I don’t know, maybe Gnome 3.34 works like this in a virtual machine, the real picture will be different. But until they fix the night light that I need, I'm not going to switch to Gnome 3.34

See all these nifty new features that make gnome a better DE? https://itsfoss.com/gnome-3-34-release/
Guess what they consume resources. Even if there was a "super stable branch" you'd still get to this point albeit a lot slower. Change is inevitable. Why so upset over 400mb? Is your system ram anemic? If so buy more ram and fix your system instead of asking the manjaro dev's to reinvent the wheel for you?

6 Likes

No issues here on Gnome, both in the stable and testing branches of Manjaro. I can only echo what @mandog has said. You have something wrong with your system. Could be an extension or a program you are using.

That being said. If you want an LTS type distro, move away from those that are based on Arch, Slackware, and Gentoo. It is a rolling release. If you want more testing done, step up to the plate, make a contribution, move over to the testing branch, and help those of us who DO test Manjaro before it is released to the stable branch.

Finally, it is not a good thing to come to a distro and ask that THEY change to what YOU want.

10 Likes

OK so I LMGTFY about the night light issue. Like I said sometimes a change happens in upstream arch that affects manjaro. Manjaro does not = arch.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249805
The issue is from upstream and the arch dev's have to fix it before manjaro devs can.
if you would like to try and fix the problem yourself there is this post:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mutter-performance/

3 Likes

With this approach, the Gnome will soon consume 2+ GB of memory like Google Chrome and new features are just useless on the PC desktop. :-1: Gnome is on a utopian road. :skull:

GNOME 3.34 Key Improvements

1. Drag and drop app icons into a folder -> Absolutely useless feature for the desktop.
  2. Background selection settings -> There is a Variety program that makes it much better.
  3. Responsive design for ‘Settings’ app This is surely going to help GNOME on Linux smartphones
    -> A lot of people who use gnome on smartphones? :laughing:

In the bottom line, we see only increased memory consumption, not working night light and broken extensions. :rage:

I am sure @linux-aarhus understands the differences
and probably misused terminology rather than create more confusion with nomenclature you may not understand yet

so response in post#3 appears to be very patronising

I test Gnome 3.34 on VirtualBox

so any data or conclusion is skewed by the virtualbox environment and no help for most Linux users on installed OS

1 Like

I think the topic can be closed, since no one will do this :worried:
Since we can engage in philosophy to infinity........

Forum kindly sponsored by