Add Google Chrome to main repository

It would be nice if the official Google Chrome browser were to be added to the main repository. I'm sure many prefer to use the version from Google, and it would also help noobs as well who may be moving from other OSes to install their browser of choice. I use the stable channel, but this would apply to the other release channels as well (beta, dev, canary).

2 Likes

I foresee this: "AFTER REPLACING LIBREOFFICE WITH CLOSED-SOURCE CRIPPLEWARE, MANJARO SHIPS THE BIG PROPRIETARY GOOGLE SPYWARE." :laughing:

More seriously, is there something wrong with Chromium? Do we really need "the real deal"?

5 Likes

I don't think any distro has Chrome in their repos. I don't think Google allows redistribution?

Chromium is fundamentally the same, just without Flash (which Chrome 76 disables anyway) and Widevine (which is in the AUR).

5 Likes

Quoting EULA, 7.2

7.2 You should be aware that Content presented to you as part of the Services, including but not limited to advertisements in the Services and sponsored Content within the Services may be protected by intellectual property rights which are owned by the sponsors or advertisers who provide that Content to Google (or by other persons or companies on their behalf). You may not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on this Content (either in whole or in part) unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google or by the owners of that Content, in a separate agreement.

Source: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/privacy/eula_text.html

4 Likes

Welp, there goes my Chrome Timeshare. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yup, so what distro is going to bother asking a huge faceless corporation who "can be trusted as far as you can throw them" whether they can redistribute software when there's a perfectly good open-source alternative?

If Google approached us and said, "You can redistribute Chrome if you'd like" I think we could go for it. Otherwise I just don't think it's worth considering.

When it comes to FreeOffice/SoftMaker, at least Phil can physically go and talk to someone. You can't do that with "Google".

3 Likes

Chrome works better for me than Chromium in playing Amazon Prime Videos.

2 Likes

Have you installed chromium-widevine from AUR?

2 Likes

it doesnt matter which browser you go with, they actively block linux browsers from full HD playback. as does netflix and also hulu (those are just the ones i have to confirm)

theres a "netflix 1080" extension to make netflix play in 1080.

for amazon prime, i just recently found a user agent that allows it to playback full HD using this extension (allows for site specific user agent settings), and set to the settings as shown below

and hulu works IIRC with a windows 10 user agent of the edge browser. i forget which exactly at the moment.

3 Likes

I got Netflix to do full HD using that same useragent AO. Windows 10 + Edge browser.
At least it reported it was full HD. Looked good so I was happy.

1 Like

No - I'm sure it would address the error messages with some tweaking but I don't need to tweak Chrome. It works for me out-of-the-box which appeals to my laziness.

if you must have chrome :face_vomiting: you could add the herecura repo and you can avoid having to build it from the AUR.

explained on my post from this thread

2 Likes

That's not going to help with permission for redistribution - unless you work for Google? :wink:

2 Likes

Chrome with Manjaro is strange.
There is an old version in the repos (v73), and the newest in AUR (v76).
In KDE-version the AUR package is set outdated/orphaned and not visible with Trizen set (Octopi & yay = visible), in XFCE Chrome is visible in AUR (Pacman), but not preinstalled!
Stop whataboutism discussions using Libreoffice comparisons.

I'd love to see newest Chrome version in the repo to satisfy content creators (Youtube,...).

1 Like

I dont know what repos you are using .. but there isnt any google-chrome in ours ...

[maybe you installed it from somewhere else and have not updated it?]

1 Like

I don't see any of that. Do you have some non-standard repos added?

1 Like

Sorry i was wrong.
If i do not press the alien icon in Octopi then i see Chrome v73 (Repository AUR) -> green alien icon.

If i do press the alien icon in Octopi then i see Chrome v76 -> red alien icon (outdated/orphaned)
:dizzy_face:

Both links lead to the AUR package by lucifer. :japanese_ogre:
I don't like "Unknown packager" in description, maybe this is a reason to add it to the manjaro repo, for security reasons.

which you need google's permission to do. or you can just pull the packages you want from here if you dont want to add the repo
https://repo.herecura.be/herecura/x86_64

google-chrome-76.0.3809.100-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz    06-Aug-2019 22:09     58M
google-chrome-76.0.3809.100-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz..> 06-Aug-2019 22:10     566
google-chrome-dev-78.0.3876.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz  08-Aug-2019 21:51     63M
google-chrome-dev-78.0.3876.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar...> 08-Aug-2019 21:52     566
3 Likes

My guess is:

The one in the "repo" version 73, is the one you have installed currently, from the AUR. Just not updated.
New one in AUR is 76, which is correct.

The "Unknown Packager" is because you have not filled out your PACKAGER variable in /etc/makepkg.conf, so the system does not know who made the package. Which you did, since you build it from AUR.

OK, this thread has gone off on a tangent twice already.

Unless things change significantly, "Adding Chrome to the repos" is not going to happen.

1 Like