Add ARM UEFI boot ISO?

If you want desktop arm device with UEFI then Honeycomb is already there, I have it running with AMD R5 230

In fact I considered it for a while, and very close to buy one, but settled down on just using RPI CM4 for the current filesystem testing.
The lack of single thread performance (not that much different from overclocked RPI4) is my biggest concern, which doesn’t seems to be that suitable for desktop usage.

Any real world experience for that?

Thus personally speaking, M1 (pro/max) mac would be more suitable, but that notch, just no.

Yeah, unfortunately they do require a credit card and it doesn’t even work with Virtual ones like the one from Revolut. I do see why they’re doing this though, they need to make sure people don’t just create fake accounts which is reasonable.
So far it looks really good to me from what I’ve tried. Build times are like 9m for the Manjaro ARM kernel.
It let me allocate a maximum of 12 cores and 72 GB of RAM but if all this is for free it’s not bad at all. I think there’s also some limitation for the maximum number of hours or something but it wasn’t that clear to me.

That’s just for first month. If you don’t move them back to 4 cores then they will automatically start charging you.

4cores are free without any time limit.

I would really like to install Manjaro on my Honeycomb but no UEFI (yet) is a bummer. I did settle for Ubuntu Server 21 (51.13) with a KDE plasma desktop on a Radeon WX2100, which i have had for a while. Solid Run has some great videos for custom grub boot options but after that pretty much any Arm UEFI Image will work
The performance is excellent, even with that low level graphics card. It’s about half the speed of a RX 550 and has only 2GB RAM. I also have a WX4100 which beats the RX560, but that’s running my SteamDeck emulator.
What no other arm sbc has, the Honeycomb has. That is a PCIe x8 (x16 physical) slot.
Those 16 A72 cores lift above their weight in normal desktop use. KDE plasma runs absolutely smooth. With that and 64GB ram, i can fire off quite some containers.
I would love to see a board like this withe 16 Neoverse cores and a full x16 slot for $500. But until that happens, that’s the best thing arm can buy.

@spikerguy btw, where can I get that UEFI Image. Can I test that?

Not yet. Still have not prepared any test image with uefi enabled.

The Phytium D2000 octacore ARM mini PC with RX550 is coming in a couple of weeks (last update it is coming by train from China). So it looks like more ARM machines with UEFI are coming. Would love to test Manjaro on it.

1 Like