File system in read only mode

Hello,

Earlier today my computer started to malfunction. It began with Firefox suddenly being very slow and uncooperative. I attempted to update it but the transaction failed. I ran a couple of commands to refresh the mirrors and keys and it updated that. However Firefox was still painfully slow for a while and upon trying to open up Instagram, the whole browser crashed. I was unable to reopen it because the computer insisted that I already had it open, despite it being nowhere in the task manager.

After this point, I discovered that I couldn’t open up most things anymore. This didn’t just affect programs like Discord. But also commands; I can’t shut off or restart the computer using the desktop shortcut nor can I use any commands at all. They all result in input/output error messages. I am able to still open up file manager, task manager, the terminal, and some programs like Focuswriter and KPatience do try to open but freeze before they open up fully.

The terminal has a message claiming that home is in read only mode and failed to lock the system. Opening up file manager and right clicking anything shows I am unable to access any properties without crashing it. I am also unable to copy or paste any files without the file manager crashing.

I am running the XFCE version of Manjaro Linux. Unfortunately there isn’t much information I can give with my computer being like this.

You either run out of space on your hdd or your harddrive becomes errors
The drive is locked, when it has input-output errors and had not been repaired.

You need to reboot, switch to a terminal with alt+f1 (-f6)
and umount the disks before you check and repair them.

cd /
sudo fdisk -l
sudo umount /dev/sdxxx
sudo fsck /dev/sdxxx

then reboot again.

With df you can see your current disk space.

1 Like

This works,

• when you are in your running system (with CTRL+ALT+F2).
  • And also in a live environment (USB/ISO)

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

(Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )