Activities in Gnome Shell broken with latest stable?

I’m facing the same issue. Tried installing multiple times, it’s in the stable release 21.0.5. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Facing the same problem Actually faced it multiple times by now. I am stuck at the activities panel right now as I’m writing this comment from my phone. I would log out / reboot to fix but unfortunately I have queued 20 app installs

@megavolt give a solution :
That happens sometimes when the GPU is overloaded. At least in my case.

To solve it i press the keystroke :

ALT+ F2

and type: restart OR just r and press ENTER

It will restart/reload the gnome-shell without closing any apps.

@cyprien Better use quote like this :wink:

However… i experienced the same problem when switching layouts. When no windows are open and i switch the layout then everything is fine. But if there open windows, then the gnome-shell just needs to be restarted (refreshed).

If you go to GNOME Tweaks → Top Bar the first option is Activities Overview Hot Corner. Toggling this to off keeps me from getting stuck in the Activities overview and having to log off to recover. In the ArcMenu settings → General there is also an option to modify what the Activities Hot Corner does, changing to anything other than the GNOME default also prevents problems.

I’m using the “Traditional” layout if that make a difference for any of these settings. I have no idea why this problem occurs in the first place, this is just how I get by for now.

I got the same issue here. The hot corner opens up, minus the virtual desktops on the right and only allows closing windows. Not switching windows. Only a reboot clears the problem.

I have same issue. I don’t think so it caused by hot corner. It also happens to me when i click windows button on my keyboard. Maybe it has something to do with GNOME and not only some extensions, but i will try to turn off hot corner.

Have you tried
ALT+ F2

and type: restart OR just r and press ENTER ?

Just wanted to say that I experienced the same problem until I read somewhere it may be a problem with an extension. I changed to vanilla Gnome with layout switcher Manjaro provides and had no problems since.

Edit: Also read that some people had this issue only when Firefox was open. so check that everything is up to date in firefox as well.

It doesn’t work on Wayland.

Yes, switching to Gnome layout does work. Before I got stuck in activities every time I launched them.
But.
I’m not remotely satisfied with this layout. I need vertical panels (“dash to dock”) and normal app menu (“Arc”).
So this bug is really extremal for me because I have to log out every time I accidentally launch activities.

So: clean install, ‘Traditional’ layout, wayland - 100% reproduction of the bug for me. Extensions:
appindicatorsupport@rgcjonas.gmail.com
arcmenu@arcmenu.com
dash-to-panel@jderose9.github.com
ding@rastersoft.com
drive-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
hibernate-status@dromi
pamac-updates@manjaro.org
user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
workspace-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
(obtained by the command:
gsettings get org.gnome.shell enabled-extensions | tr “,” “\n” |tr -d "^ ’ [ ] " | sort
)

What fixed this issue on both of my machines was to switch to the testing branch, which upgrades to Gnome Shell 40. You can safely switch back to stable after upgrading, and still keep Gnome Shell 40.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Switching_Branches

1 Like

As long as you’re OK with pacman complaining about local packages on versions newer than on the stable repository, and maybe adding entries to your pacman.conf file for ignoring such conflicts temporarily, then everything should be OK. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have disabled the extensions and no issue so far.

I would just like to add that I have the same issue with no added extension or changes. The problem occurred intermittently when I used the super key - with numerous apps open or just 2. The suggestion from @cyprien has helped by not having to log out and back in again and documents/apps are still open.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.