ActivePen2 top button

Hey,

first of all this is not about the touchsupport of the active pen but the top button some pens have!
In the last day or two i tryed setting up the top button of the lenovo active pen 2 and had some trouble…
The conection via bt was no problem (holding down top button 5-7sec) but then the pen will disconect.
The intended behavior(from lenovo active pen2) is as follows: when pressing the top button (short) the device will connect via bt and then send a key press after that it will disconect again.

The initial idea was to use udev rules but these never applyed with the pen maybe the connection time was too short ? information on this is welcome!
The workaround i use now is to use a service which uses
udevadm monitor (shows connection of the pen) and then check if the connected device is the pen…
this works and i can now use the top button!

if someone wants to use my solution u need to add a service with the following:

[Unit]
Description=active-pen2 top-button
After=graphical-session-pre.target
After=auto-rotate.service
Wants=graphical-session-pre.target

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 10
ExecStart=/pathTo/active-pen2
Restart=on-failure
SuccessExitStatus=3 4
RestartForceExitStatus=3 4

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

and the activePen2 file should contain

#!/bin/sh

DISPLAY=:0
export DISPLAY

SERVICE="xournalpp"

udevadm monitor | while read -r line
do
    if [[ $line == "KERNEL"*"add"*"hci0:3585"*"bluetooth"* ]]; then
        if pgrep -x "$SERVICE" >/dev/null
        then
            #xournal  is running wannt to open the sidebar in xournal(shortcute f12)
            xte "key F12"
        else
            #xournal not running open it now
            sudo -u felix_j xournalpp &>/dev/null &
        fi
    fi
done 
exit 0

if you have a cleaner solution using udev pls comment !
my udev rule to test if my pen would raise a add action was
ACTION=“add”, RUN+=“sudo -u felix_j xournalpp &>/dev/null &”
this would work if connecting a usb device or headphones but not with the active pen2 top button

Best reagards

I may be misunderstanding your topic but activepen2 - Are you sure this is a bluetooth devices - and have a button at the top?

I have a lenovo miix2 700 with something called activepen2 and it is not a bt device and has no top button. It has two buttons on the side but the general functionality of the pen is limited on Linux.

edit: I just did a search for activepen2 and admittedly there is one - I am confused - and probably others with me.

hy
didn’t know that there are multiple active pen 2’s from lenovo sorry
this one and you can see the top button and its also just a minor problem since the side buttons and the writing itself works :wink:
and yes it is a bt device but only the top button all other buttons do not need bt!

i cant post links / pics here but here is the article nr GX80N07825