ACPI error messages and some other messages during boot

Hi everyone… again!

So after installing Manjaro, I have been seeing these “ACPI” error messages that appear in the following order on two successive windows-

I have found posts in this forum with similar problems faced by other users. I found this with an explanation on the problem.

Obvously, I can’t understand what’s being said, nor whether it’s suited completey to the problem I’m having! :confused::confused:

Is there anything wrong with my system/kernel/or anything I should worry about? Is there any way to get rid of these messages? They significantly increase the boot-up time!

Also, sometimes I see some messages simillar to messages displayed when I tried to install arch- they all start with the word “ok” enclosed with third bracket:

[ok] message

It’s like my system is being built right before my eyes- those types of messages!

Is this normal? Sorry I couldn’t take pictures of these messages, they don’t appear every time I start my PC…

Here’s my PC specs:

Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
    System:    Host: apollonius Kernel: 4.9.48-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 7.1.1)
               Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5 (Qt 5.9.1) Distro: Manjaro Linux
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: ASUS product: All Series
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-C v: Rev X.0x BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2401 date: 06/02/2015
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (Haswell rev.3) (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25548
               clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 3200 MHz 2: 2902 MHz 3: 3200 MHz 4: 3200 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting) tty size: 133x34
    Audio:     Card Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.48-1-MANJARO
    Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
               driver: r8168 v: 8.044.02-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: f8:32:e4:9d:66:b6
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.1% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA0 size: 500.1GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 112G used: 6.7G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
    Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 1:11 Memory: 1305.3/7860.5MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 7.1.1
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.27

Thanks in advance!:slightly_smiling_face:

Many threads already on this.

The explanation is there, and in other threads, I don’t know what else to add. If you really want to understand this technically I’d use the Arch wiki to bone up :slight_smile: .

Bottom line these “errors” are benign, I get them on both my laptops too.

No they don’t.

2 Likes

I concur. My wife’s laptop does the same thing, and my desktop always shows the clean line. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the system.

I suspect that Apollonius thinks they contribute to boot time because they are visible. If they were not visible, there would be no perceived extension in boot time.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing things up guys! :smiley:

Happy to help where I can.
Sueridgepipe is extremely knowledgeable.

1 Like

In layman terms…

What is happening:
Linux is investigating your system ACPI capabilities and your BIOS is reporting that some ACPI functions are available. However, when Linux tries to access them, they are not there. As such a warning is issued and Linux removes that ACPI function from its list.

Why is it happening:
Your BIOS is declaring ACPI functions without implementing them. This happens either because the BIOS is actively hiding them from the you (some BIOS like to report only to Windows operating systems), or because the BIOS code is buggy or of poor quality.

Is it bad?
Not usually, no. AE_NOT_FOUND exceptions are handled by the Linux boot process just fine. It just means that certain ACPI capabilities will be disabled. Those that the boot process revealed to be inaccessible. Of course. if any of those functions are important to you for some reason, or is a standard acpi function expected in every system, then indeed this could be bad. But the latter case will often result in a failed boot, which is not the case here.

What can you do:
Your BIOS settings may have ACPI options that allow it to work better with Linux. Look for anything of the kind in your motherboard model manual. You may also see these problems go away by updating your BIOS, since many times vendors patch these errors when they are reported. So look on the board manufacturer support website for BIOS upgrades to your board.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark