Acer Predator Helios 500 - ALC299 Sound Card - No Sound

Hello.

I have the following notebook: Acer Predator Helios 500 (intel cpu/nvidia gpu), with the folllowing:

CPU: Intel i9-8950HK
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Mobile
Kernel: 4.19.2.-1

The problem I’m having is that I don’t have any sound output from the internal sound card. It works as intended on Windows 10, detecting both Headphone (line-out) jack and internal speakers.

In Linux, I have no sound, both internal speakers or headphone (line-out).

I have the following detected:

lspci -nn | grep -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS [8086:a348] (rev 10)

lspci -v | grep -A7 -i “audio”
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS (rev 10) (prog-if 80)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Cannon Lake PCH cAVS
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 152
Memory at 404a100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at 404a000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

It is based on ALC299, if I’m not mistaken.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks

Are all your channels active and the volume is set at a good value in alsamixer?

run alsamixer in the terminal, then select your sound card with F6, and see how the volumes on the channels are set.

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I got from alsamixer:

To be actually sure you should post alsainfo output. It shows the codec components.

Anyway, it reportedly is a retasking problem.

Thanks for the info.

Using hdajackretask, I got the confirmation that it is an ALC299 chipset.

However, I get this:

Whenever I try to Apply any changes, I get an error similar to the one displayed. I’m using hdajackretask with root permissions. Also, do you know exactly which option to Override and what to select as override method?

Are you using it from latest alsa-tools?
You should probably launch it as a normal user I guess.

Yes, latest version.

I did run it as a normal user previously to test it as root.

I just mentioned it, because someone could suggest try it as root.

information you linked to claims that audio problem is due to headphone jack detected as always plugged in (but no indication of how to fix and author ended up using another audio device anyway)

when running hdajackretask as user rather than root, enable checkbox “Advanced Override” to see additional settings needed to adjust jack detection settings

Ok, the information I get is this:

Does anyone know what should I select here?

Well, I’ve tried one thing.

On “Black Headphone, Right Side”, set “Override” on and on “Connectivity”, selected “Not Connected”, clicked “Install boot override” and rebooted.

On restart, sound does come out, but always on internal speakers, whether I insert a headphone on the jack or not.

Does anyone knows how to solve the rest of the problem (being able to use headphone jack as intended)?

Open a ticket on https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ with all the required information, and Iwai will likely give you all the required help quickly.

In an earlier post you had screenshot of alsamixer settings
setting for ‘Auto-Mute Mode’ was shown set to ‘Disabled’
Change it to ‘Enabled’ to have speakers muted when headphones plugged in

Thanks for all your help.

mirh: I’ll open a ticket if that’s more helpful, thank you.

nikgnomic: Now I don’t have that setting available, I only have “Master”, “PCM”, “Mic Boost” and “Internal Mic Boost”. I assume that’s due to the override of the Headphone jack, set to “Not Available”, so it doesn’t display either “Heapdphone” nor “Speakers” anymore.

not unexpected to have alsamixer layout change, but not usually losing so many

the 3 controls disappearing with change to “Not Available” makes me think headphone output is disabled and jack detection and the auto mute isn’t needed either with only speakers to play audio

I don’t see anything else in hdajackretask screenshot settings that might be changed to improve things

enabling option ‘show unconnected pins’ might show an unused alternative connection for headphone/headset

but agree best option is to pass on information in bugzilla report for help on this

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.