Unable to sudo pacman -Syu

Hi community, so today for whatever reason I decided to clean install Manjaro. Installation went perfectly, but once the system was set and running, the next thing I decided was to update my system with sudo pacman -Syu and I am returned with this, can anybody help me out here please, I would really appreciate that.

sudo pacman -Syu                                                                               ✔ 

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

For security reasons, the password you type will not be visible.

[sudo] password for pdeb: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.kyberorg.fi : Resolving timed out after 10001 milliseconds
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) archlinux-keyring-20231207-1

Total Download Size:   1.15 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1.64 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.02 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 archlinux-keyring-20231207-1-any     1180.2 KiB   780 KiB/s 00:02 [####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [####################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                [####################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading archlinux-keyring                                  [####################################] 100%
==> Appending keys from archlinux.gpg...
==> Locally signing trusted keys in keyring...
  -> Locally signed 1 keys.
==> Importing owner trust values...
gpg: inserting ownertrust of 4
==> Disabling revoked keys in keyring...
  -> Disabled 6 keys.
==> Updating trust database...
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:  21  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
gpg: depth: 1  valid:  21  signed:  97  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 21m, 0f, 0u
gpg: depth: 2  valid:  72  signed:  28  trust: 72-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 0u
gpg: next trustdb check due at 2024-01-21
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/3) Refreshing PackageKit...

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace appstream-qt with extra/appstream-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kdsoap with extra/kdsoap-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kgamma5 with extra/kgamma? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kirigami-addons with extra/kirigami-addons5? [Y/n] y
warning: kpeoplevcard: local (0.1+r38.32d50a9-1) is newer than extra (0.1-2)
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libkcddb with extra/libkcddb5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libkdcraw with extra/libkdcraw5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libqaccessibilityclient with extra/libqaccessibilityclient-qt5? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kpeople5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kpeople' required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required by kpeoplevcard

Can you use a search function? There is literally 10s of posts with this exact error. Also, read announcements, it’s mentioned in them (second post) as well, since a month ago.

1 Like

thanks a lot sir, updating my system with sudo pacman -Syu kpeoplevcard instead of sudo pacman -Syu worked. Apologies for not using the search function prior to posting, next time on wards before making a post I would rather use the search function.

1 Like

[Stable Update] 2023-12-10 - Kernels, Plasma, Phosh, Systemd, Cinnamon, Gnome, libpamac - #2 by philm

2023-11-06

kpeoplevcard update requires manual intervention

A “newer” version of kpeoplevcard accidently existed, so to install the current version, either update with sudo pacman -Syu kpeoplevcard or sudo pacman -Syuu.
[/quote]

1 Like

To be fair.
I requested a new iso on manjaro.org 2 weeks ago (and I have seen others request the same thing), the current “fresh install iso” (I only checked KDE plasma) is from October 15 and on an EOL kernel, there are multiple things that has to be “fixed” DIRECTLY after a brand new install.

Wonder why there are that many posts… :thinking:
Nothing has been done about this so just like I said when I requested an iso that would NOT break Manjaro immediately at install: Every single fresh install will have these problems.

At least I do not think the absolute first thing a user should have to do after a fresh install is go to the announcement forum to fix the installation.

This is imho 100% on Manjaro, not a user “not searching” after a fresh install!

@PrudenceRoguish You are most likely on kernel65 and that is EOL (end of life).
You should also switch to another kernel, f.ex linux66 (the new LTS, “long time support”)
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66
Then reboot and you are on linux66. You can therefore remove the old kernel:
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux65

HI @bedna thanks for your response, so lets say I am to reinstall manjaro kde from scratch again and before running the sudo pacman -Syu can i install and switch my kernel to 66 using sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66 and then run the sudo pacman -Syu? That should be the ideal way now, considering 65 is EOL now, please let me know and I cna proceed with a fresh install right away

Sure. And don’t forget to remove EOL ones.

Aside:- New Manjaro ISOs should be released soon with most everything updated, including the kernels. I don’t know exactly when, but as I understand it, they are close. It might save some effort just to wait till they are ready.

Additionally, this page describes how to update kernels, if desired:

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

There is no need to fix this further, you are all good now. Just switch kernel.
To switch kernel you need a completely up to date system so you would end up in this exact same situation before switching kernels anyway.

What I was saying was it’s not fair to blame the user in this case when the standard downloadable installation iso is two months old.

There are places where you can get daily and weelky isos, but that is beside the point.
I am only talking about the iso you get from manjaro.org.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.